My powder blue tang is in ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings,

Today I have decided to put my PBT in my main aquarium. After I drip acclimated him for 2 hours, I gave it a FW dip. After checking PH and temperature to be the same as in my main tank, I placed it in and watched it closely. According to Fenner's book, the duration is between 2-10 minutes and the fish must be removed when it shows signs of distress. Well, after 8 minutes, he appeared fine so I placed a pinch of flake food to see what happens. Well he started to eat the food while in the dip! After 11 minutes without any signs of distress, I placed it in my main tank. At the same time I gave all the fish some food for them to be distracted and the tang immediately went for the food!This is seconds from being placed in a new tank! Then from nowhere a damsel missile darted out and started to chase the PBT. It was like watching Indy 500 and within seconds, the traffic pattern reversed. The tang was chasing all the damsels! Talk about making yourself at home here. I can tell he is very in his element right now. After 4 hours, he appears very happy and I do hope he will do well. I consider keeping a blue tang successfully is quite an achievement. I will post some pictures shortly, DP

My tank

My tank pictures

Attachments

• DSC02646.jpg
    DSC02646.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC02606.jpg
    DSC02606.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02611.jpg
    DSC02611.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC02642.jpg
    DSC02642.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 69
I love this tank and your fish are amazing good job

Thank you for your kind words! This is a 125 gallon tank with 20 gallon-ish sump and it is a little over a year old. I believe the only easy way to keep nitrate down below 10 is a sump with live caulepra growing. I do PWC 20 gallons every two weeks. My fish load is high and with less than conventional feeding technique, I must be on top of things. DP

More ...

Please feel free to give me comments or suggestions...Thanks DP

Attachments

• DSC02600.jpg
    DSC02600.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC02613.jpg
    DSC02613.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02620.jpg
    DSC02620.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC02642.jpg
    DSC02642.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 71
I just wanted to ask why you thought it needed a FW dip? What was the purpose? Just wondering.

I just wanted to ask why you thought it needed a FW dip? What was the purpose? Just wondering.

I read in Fenner's book that dip is a preventive way to kill ich before introducing in aquarium. I am just a beginner so I just follow what is advised. DP

I believe he has changed his mind on that since he wrote that version. I personally dont like FW dips. It stresses the fish out so that when it does go back in the tank it usually has a lower immunity to disease and parasites. From my experience I`ve never seen a FW dip do any good. JMO

I believe he has changed his mind on that since he wrote that version. I personally dont like FW dips. It stresses the fish out so that when it does go back in the tank it usually has a lower immunity to disease and parasites. From my experience I`ve never seen a FW dip do any good. JMO

You are right and I do not feel comfortable about the FW dip either. I wonder if it does any kind of internal damage when the fish is about to pass out in hyposalinity water. It is like placing yourself in unpressurized cabin at 25000 feet. I wonder what he says in his new version now. DP

I just remember someone saying that he changed his mind about several things from his original version. I`m not sure what they are.

So far so good ... but I think I may have a problem

Greetings,

So far the PBT is doing very well. The color is becoming more intense and there is not a single speck on his smooth body. The problem I have now is that he is pretty aggressive. All the damsels retreat into the corals everytime the tang swims by. Last night I saw him attacking the foxface (2 bites) and now I am concerned for its well being. Never expect this to be a problem at all. I checked with the LFS that sold this tang and I was advised "it was a return because he grew so big for her tank". Now I think it may be due to his aggressive behavior instead. DP

PBT`s can get quite fiesty at times. In times of aggression cut the lights off for a few hours and/or move the LR around to make it look unfamilar to him.

Pardon my confusion, Fenner is poopoo-ing freshwater dips or hypo.. or both? The terms kinda got used interchangeably in the thread.

I still use both though hypo much more.

My PBT Update

Greetings,

So far the tang is doing very well. He is quite aggressive to other fish and tends to display the blotched "zebra" pattern on his body when he is in quarrel with other fish. He eats TONS and he goes through a sheet of nori or lectuce in a day. He also eliminates TONS also. Eversince I added him, my Nitrate increases slighly. It was 5 yesterday and PWC was done 3 days ago. It looks like I may have to increase the amount of PWC to accomodate this guy. DP

Powder blues do have an attitude. I guess you are finding that out. I know 0 is the goal on nitrates but 5 is nothing to get excited about. Sounds like everything is doing great.

Powder blues do have an attitude. I guess you are finding that out. I know 0 is the goal on nitrates but 5 is nothing to get excited about. Sounds like everything is doing great.

Yup. I was afraid the damels, tomato clowns, the foxface will harrass the tang causing it to freak out then comes down with ICH attack but it is actually the other way around. At least for now I don't have to worry about the Tang. DP

The PBT is thriving!

Well folks,

My tang is very active and thriving. I feel so rewarded now! DP

2 month update...

Hello folks,

My tang is doing very well so far. I bet he will look better when I get my MH system in next week. I give him Nori every other day and his stomach is always bloated. However, I still see his rib line and I would like him to gain some more weight. DP

Attachments

• dia's house etc 067.jpg
    dia's house etc 067.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 120
Nice looking tang, I would love to have one but my tank is not big enough!

Back
Top Bottom