My REDSEA max /first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrate levels of 20 ppm and less are harmless. I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you but if it bothers you, I would suggest doing a few more water changes.

Nitrate levels of 20 ppm and less are harmless. I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you but if it bothers you, I would suggest doing a few more water changes.

20ppm can cause quite problems with algae and fish. I say 10ppm is a
Little algae and harmless to fish, 5ppm is great. 0-ish is what you really want to keep algae out (along with phosphates).. And will not cause problems.

Thanks! I try to keep mine under or around 5 ppm if possible! I don't mine a bit of algae for the hermits to munch on

I'd like I get the litereef sump/Refugium. But $800 is a lot of cash Looking into diy acrylic to build my own.

Officially month 7.
Took a week vacation
Tank survived for te most part
Water test first thing tommorrow
The goniopora fell face down on te sand bed. So I've got exposed skeleton on it:((((. Gotta get new bulbs once I get paid.

Week 3. Month 7.
Just got back from the field
Lots of brown algae? Looks like diatoms almost. On the sandbed. I removed as much as possible thru a siphons and replaced 5 gallons
Nitrates are high. Going to do a 5 gal wc everyday until it's under control
Maybe 8 gallons.

Still struggling with this goniopora
It's not just melting away. But it's defiantly dying slowly. I can see the tissue slowly creeping back. There are small brown patches around the expose skeleton. When the polyps extend it's only one side at a time. The side opposite my powerhead. ?!?!?
I understand it's partly due to my nitrate problem and dealing with that issue as well. Water changes and reduced feeding. I've put 3 bottles of Copepods in in the last two months ...how will they affect my system before being eaten?!?!?

Well 5 gallon wc Monday (14%)
8 gal on wed (23%)
And a 13 gallon today. (That's 38%)

Water tested. Waiting on results
Moved goniopora to bottom of tank
Going to move it up one week at a time
Until I find a happy spot

Tried to feed it oyster feast.

What will it eat ? I want to keep it healthy

Re organised my wish list for this tank
1 auto top off
2 rodi unit
3 sump /refugium
4 lighting upgrade

I need a powerhead as well. But that's cheaper than anything else on here

Goniopora experiment
Trying to see if te spectrum of light reaching the goniopora is affecting its health.
Purchased a solarflare actinic 3w led
It's spotlighting just the goniopora a area.
Seems to want to extend its polyps. I'll leave it there for a week and see how it does.

34 gallon REDSEA max 130
Upgraded return pump
~30lbs live rock
Flame angel ,
Emerald crab a few hermits
One single ricordia mushroom
Small dragon eyes colony

Noticed today during my WC.
That my WC station/mixing station has brown (prolly diatoms) on some of the items in it. Possibly causing the. Diatoms on my tank

There is also a build up of white calcium looking substance on the bottom of te barrel. What is this?
All that goes in is instant ocean reef salt and purchased water from my local store.

34 gallon REDSEA max 130
Upgraded return pump
~30lbs live rock
Flame angel , ocellaris clown
Spotted mandarin
RBTA-medium/small sizes
Struggling goniopora
Single seriatapora frag
Nassarius snails
Turbo snails

ricordia mushrooms
dragon eyes colony
Green sea mat colony

Nice tank.

You mentioned the Diatoms in the mixing area. (I am a SW noob so still learning.) How do the tanks at your lfs where you get the water look. Do they have diatoms problem too? If so, I am wondering if they might be short cutting and not using all RO/DI water to mix. Or are you not using RO/DI? Either that or do you have a light on for long periods in that area? Just a thought.

Well. I don't purchase from LFS it's from a water machine like they have at walmart. I think the filters just need maintenance on te machine
I have skylights in out house so there's plenty of light during daylight hours

34 gallon REDSEA max 130
Upgraded return pump
~30lbs live rock
Spotted mandarin
RBTA-medium/small sizes
Struggling goniopora
Single seriatapora frag
Nassarius snails
Turbo snails

ricordia mushrooms
dragon eyes colony
Green sea mat colony

Well. I don't purchase from LFS it's from a water machine like they have at walmart. I think the filters just need maintenance on te machine
I have skylights in out house so there's plenty of light during daylight hours

34 gallon REDSEA max 130
Upgraded return pump
~30lbs live rock
Spotted mandarin
RBTA-medium/small sizes
Struggling goniopora
Single seriatapora frag
Nassarius snails
Turbo snails