My REDSEA max /first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashpotatoes74402

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first SW tank got it got free from a family member cleaned it up and now it's been running for 4+ weeks
1st I mixed the salt in the empty tank and ran that for one week
2nd week added 15 lbs aragonite for substrate
3rd week added another 20 lb bag of live sand (much finer aragonite)
4th week I put in some live rock and dry rock

Also some of the live rock had one lonely little mushroom coral on it. How do I keep that puppy alive throught this learning process

I would say an odd process for starting your cycle!

Follow these forums you'll find out about problems you did not even know existed! Maybe even prevent a few:)

The diatoms are getting kinda crazy there are bubbles coming off the areas covered in the brown diatom algea. I've experienced diatoms on my FW tanks before. So I'm assuming that's what this is Also can I cycle and keep rock from the ocean in there? I live right next to a beach and have easy access to tons of dead rock

Put as much rock as your going to want now! It will all need to cycle!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391041102.533592.jpg found 5 or so of these anemone like creatures today. Definately were hidig out somewhere because they weren't there yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added 2 cups of phosban on te left side of the skimmer to help with the phosphates and silicates
Use nylon pantyhose feet for bags!
I've read it's ok to use and it's all I had on hand. Well see how this goes

And removed ceramic media from under return pump. Every forum I've read about these tanks says it's just a horrible detritus trap And I agree just from the amount of junk already accumulated under it

Lots of hitch hikers! I'm not positive but I don't think you want to leave those in there!

found 5 or so of these anemone like creatures today. Definately were hidig out somewhere bc try weren't there yesterday.

Aiptasia. pest anemone. Start killing those now before they become uncontrollable. Kalk paste, lemon juice, joes juice, aiptasia x. Either of those should work. I prefer kalk paste and lemon juice myself.

The diatoms are getting kinda crazy there are bubbles coming off the areas covered in the brown diatom algea. I've experienced diatoms on my FW tanks before. So I'm assuming that's what this is Also can I cycle and keep rock from the ocean in there? I live right next to a beach and have easy access to tons of dead rock

First, do not use anything found on the beach. No telling what contaminates are on it.

Second, are you using an ammonia source to cycle? Are you testing your water parameters?

The mushroom should be fine. They are fairly hardy.

As said put all your rock in now.

Glad to see you are taking it slow.

Use a small medicine dropper and mixed a teaspoon of lemon juice into one cup of my seawater. Squirted it directly into its ...."face/mouth/butt" and it has shriveled and turned brown. Looks pretty dead. I have no fish can I leave it to decay as a ammonia source?

Also. Should I add lemon juice to the water. The BIG one moved overnight and icant locate it. I've got a ton of hidy holes in my rock. At what point can I move in a shrimp (water parameter wise/cycle ). I've read peppermint shrimp can feed on these guys

Use a small medicine dropper and mixed a teaspoon of lemon juice into one cup of my seawater. Squirted it directly into its ...."face/mouth/butt" and it has shriveled and turned brown. Looks pretty dead. I have no fish can I leave it to decay as a ammonia source? Also. Should I add lemon juice to the water. The BIG one moved overnight and icant locate it. I've got a ton of hidy holes in my rock. At what point can I move in a shrimp (water parameter wise/cycle ). I've read peppermint shrimp can feed on these guys

Don't add lemon juice to the water. Also don't dilute it with tank water. You need it concentrated when squirting. Keep squirting it till it dissolved away. Any trace. It left will grow into a new one. Also make sure all or most of your flow/powerheads are off while doing this.

Back
Top Bottom