My Shopping List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twodaend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon AGA tank that is currently being used as a FW community tank that I'm ready to convert to a SW reef tank. I have the tank, an AGA pine stand and an AGA pine canopy. I think I have everything on my shopping list, but I need some help making sure everything is ok.

Light
2 complete T5 Tek Retro Kits 48in -2 x 54w

Bulbs
2 T-5 HO Daylight SlimPaq 10K
2 T-5 HO Actinic SlimPaq 460nm

PowerHead
Maxi-Jet 1200 (How Many?)
or
Koralia Water Circulation Pump (3 x #2 or 2 x #3)

Salt
Reef Crystals

Live Rock
Fuji Uncured (80lbs)

Base Rock
Unsure where to get it from. LFS around here are not great.

Water Testing
Refractometer

Skimmer
Coralife Super Skimmer (65 Gallon)

RO/DI Unit
Kent Maxxiam (24gpd)

Other things I need help deciding on are lunar lights and a timer for setting up a day/night schedule. I also plan on getting 2 large rubber trash cans, gloves and new sand. I also have 2 AC110's from my current FW tank that I'm hoping to use to help increase waterflow, a master test kit, and a 300w heater.

Any info and/or links whould help. Thanks

Light
2 complete T5 Tek Retro Kits 48in -2 x 54w
Looks good. This should allow you to keep a large range of soft and LPS corals.
PowerHead
Maxi-Jet 1200 (How Many?)
or
Koralia Water Circulation Pump (3 x #2 or 2 x #3)
I use maxi-jet 1200. I would say at leat three, maybe four.

Live Rock
Fuji Uncured (80lbs)
This is a good start but more would be better down the road. 120-150lbs would be a good goal.
Water Testing
Refractometer
the refracto is a great idea. I also suggest SW kits for Ph, NO2, NO3 and NH3 to start with. CA and ALK will be needed later.
RO/DI Unit
Kent Maxxiam (24gpd)
I had a Kent unit and was not too impressed with it. For less money there are better units out there. I use one from www.thefilterguys.biz and am very happy with it.

The only other thing I would suggest is a digital thermometer, I like the ones from Coralife. They are only about $10 and much better then the stick-on ones.

twodaend said:
RO/DI Unit
Kent Maxxiam (24gpd)

Other things I need help deciding on are lunar lights and a timer for setting up a day/night schedule. I also plan on getting 2 large rubber trash cans, gloves and new sand. I also have 2 AC110's from my current FW tank that I'm hoping to use to help increase waterflow, a master test kit, and a 300w heater.

Any info and/or links whould help. Thanks
I use these lunar lights and they work well.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12760&N=2004+113544

Master test kit is good.

I agree you can find a better RO-DI unit fot the money. thefilterguys.com is recommended by many.

Personally I don't like the coralife digital thermometer though a lot of people do. I may have had a bad one as it erred by 2 degrees on the high side.

Here's the refractometer I use which was recommended to me here by many:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I agree that more rock will be needed. You have 80 lbs of LR so I`m thinking about 40-50 lbs of BR or LR would be fine. That is the same refractometer I have and it is a good one. I cant believe everybody is hitting on my RO/DI unit LOL. I use the kent maxxima and have good results. As mentioned a little pricey but works great in my opinion.

melosu58 said:
That is the same refractometer I have and it is a good one. I cant believe everybody is hitting on my RO/DI unit LOL. I use the kent maxxima and have good results. As mentioned a little pricey but works great in my opinion.

I believe you were the one who recommended the refractometer to me :D . It was a great recommendation as it is inexpensive and works well. Thanks again. I too have a kent marine RO/DI unit. I believe it is the maxxima 65 or 75 gpd model. It does work well but I've heard many people say they purchcased adequate models from the filter guys for a lot less, namely half the price. Can't go wrong with the kent maxxima's though.

Back
Top Bottom