My son's 10gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would advise steering clear of test strips.... they are notoriously inaccurate. The liquid test kits aren't hard to use & are accurate enough for fish-only. If you ever ponder corals, however, you will need much more accurate kits than API.

Also if you are willing to spend money, hanna checkers are great tests but expensive but they do all the reading for you

Agreed. I use both Red Sea & Hanna checkers, and they are much better than API, but not critically necessary for a little FOWLR. A couple of Hannas alone would probably cost more than his entire 10g set-up.......

Thats true but if he thinks of getting corals hanna chekcers may be good for him. I think he should start with red sea though to get used to how to test the hard way.

No plans for corals..

I will go with the API for now.. My 11 yr old will be the primary tester, but I will help by watching him do it. It is HIS tank, so he gets to do most of the work

You will need to use an ammonia source to start the cycle. You also need to get all your rock in there ASAP - during the cycle you want your beneficial bacteria to reside in the rock and sand - you can't cycle just water. ;)

WEEK 1 cycling complete

Tank has been cycling for the last week, I bought the API Master kit last night and tested the water this AM:

First.. the tank, 20 lbs sand with 8 lbs LR have been in there this last week as well:
IMG_20131006_103009_733.jpg

PH:
IMG_20131006_100220_492.jpg

Ammonia
IMG_20131006_102816_290.jpg

Nitrite:
IMG_20131006_102656_478.jpg

Nitrate:
IMG_20131006_102633_177.jpg

SO testing the water is easy, but where do the results need to be? Now what do I do?

Did you already have an ammonia spike. If that is so than that is a very fast cycle. Did you use already cycled rock from another tank?

Did you already have an ammonia spike. If that is so than that is a very fast cycle. Did you use already cycled rock from another tank?

I believe it could be complete its a small tank but yes to the OP did you already have an ammonia spike?

Dunno, just got the test kit yesterday. This is my first test. So I have no info..how often do i need to test

Rock came out of a tank full of LR from aquarium adventures

That is probably why. Because it came out of an already cycled tank your son's tank should already be cycled when you first put the live rock in so you can start adding fish and inverts now.

I had asked earlier what you used as your ammonia source, but you never answered, so I'm now suspect of your tank being cycled in only one week. Even LR moved from one tank to another will typically show an ammo spike from a mini cycle due to some die-off, but you may have already passed through that.
Just putting the water in your tank & letting it circulate for a week is not "cycling". You need to add an ammonia source like a raw shrimp (or pure liquid ammonia) in order for the beneficial bacteria to multiply to a sufficient amount to support livestock.... has this been done?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/

Last edited:
Sorry I never answered your question.. I meant to get back to it and forgot.

There was something I was told to add with the water to get it started. I forget the name as it is at home.. I will check but I assumed that was what I needed to start according to the lfs.

I'm guessing it was some kind of "bacteria in a bottle"...... again, more lfs BS. You are not cycled. IMO, that stuff is questionable at best, and all it does is help jump-start your cycle. You need to stop by the grocery store, go to the seafood counter, and pick up a raw/uncooked shrimp. You can drop it straight into your tank, but putting it in a mesh bag or nylon stocking is recommended to avoid a later mess as it rots.
The rotting shrimp will provide an ammonia source for your nitrification bacteria to begin multiplying..... if you do daily testing, you'll see the ammonia climb, then the nitrites will climb as the ammonia will slowly fall, then you will see nitrates begin to form as the ammo and nitrites fall...... when the ammo & nitrites hit 0, you will then be cycled.
Do a complete water change to export all of the nitrates you've generated, and begin adding livestock. This process usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.... I got lucky and was completed in 11 days.

Last edited:
Dunno, just got the test kit yesterday. This is my first test. So I have no info..how often do i need to test

Rock came out of a tank full of LR from aquarium adventures

i would test twice a week like tuesdays and thursdays for the first week or two, and then maybe 3x a week like mondays, wednesdays, and fridays after that, but since its such a small tank i would do 3x a week right now to watch for that spike.

That is probably why. Because it came out of an already cycled tank your son's tank should already be cycled when you first put the live rock in so you can start adding fish and inverts now.

no, very wrong! even if its "cycled" rock from another tank he had none of the old tanks water and started new, so basically all the bacteria off the rock has for the most part died off and started up again, he needs a full cycle which will not take long on a 10g.

I'm guessing it was some kind of "bacteria in a bottle"...... again, more lfs BS. You are not cycled. IMO, that stuff is questionable at best, and all it does is help jump-start your cycle. You need to stop by the grocery store, go to the seafood counter, and pick up a raw/uncooked shrimp. You can drop it straight into your tank, but putting it in a mesh bag or nylon stocking is recommended to avoid a later mess as it rots.
The rotting shrimp will provide an ammonia source for your nitrification bacteria to begin multiplying..... if you do daily testing, you'll see the ammonia climb, then the nitrites will climb as the ammonia will slowly fall, then you will see nitrates begin to form as the ammo and nitrites fall...... when the ammo & nitrites hit 0, you will then be cycled.
Do a complete water change to export all of the nitrates you've generated, and begin adding livestock. This process usually takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.... I got lucky and was completed in 11 days.

x2 on this, its the ongest part of the cycle and the most boring, mine was actually pretty fast as well in my 36g bow front, it too about 12-14 days if i remember correctly, use a panty hose for the shrimp its very easy clean-up when its decomposed and broken down. patience is the key for sw and the cycle is the hardest part to endure for all of us, basically staring at an empty scaped tank just imagining fish swimming and exploring around the tank daily for up to 6wks at a time :banghead:

Oops, forgot about the water. +1 with bigtex. I forgot that you were starting with no water from a current tank.

OKay still working on this.. but the Light died.. I had gotten a t5 bulb it worked for a day then stopped, took the bulb back and found it was fine.. so I need a fixture.. Suggestions? I have a glass hood so it doe snot need to be a combo.. There are plans for Live Rock so what do I need to buy as a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom