My son's 10gal build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am being my 11 yr old son set up his SW tank. I cleaned the Tank today, I have sand and will get the new filter and some premixed Water from the LFS on Friday.

I had bought a aqueon quiet 50 but the intake is too low so I will exchange it for a 30 this week and get water so we can get something accomplished. We are both looking forward to it.

All his FW fish are in my 50g for now and may go to his sister's tank..

Sorry no pictures yet it is just an empty tank right now

Good luck!Make sure to get a good filter and watch the ammonia and nitrite levels.Small tanks can be difficult to keep.

good to see your build thread jeff, remember patience and attention to parameter swings with a smaller tank is the key, sounds good so far.

Tank has been cleaned,
We have an AquaClear 30 filter

Sand is in water is in, filter is running. Cloudy water reminds me of when I filed my sandy bottom cichlid tank, I assume a couple days for it to clear up.

IMG_20130928_154620_397.jpg

With an aquaclear it takes way shorter for the water to clear, IMO

Yep you are right, my son came down to tell me it was getting clearer..

He is quite excited about a SW tank, big change from FW.

Hopefully all goes well

Don't worry bud it will clear and especially with overkill on the filtration not just aquaclear filters, my topfin 75 cleared up my 46g bow within the hour it was amazing.

What is he planning on wanting in there?? Do your research very carefully..... there are but an exceptionally small handful of marine fish that are capable of thriving in only a 10 gallon tank. I would've recommended a 20 long or even a 29 (both relatively cheap)..... opens up a much greater number of possibilities.
If he's wanting a "Nemo", that's definitely a no-go in a 10g.

Last edited:
Here's the nano section at LiveAquaria:
Nano Fish

I'd recommend absolutely no more than 2 nano fish in a 10g - something like a goby & a firefish.

you know, that is about what I thought.. it is amazing what you are told at the LFS..

One said 5 fish MAX

one said MAX of 5 inches of fish (full grown)

I will do research prior to buying anything

One also mentioned Turbo Snails?

Do I need some sort of clean up crew?

We thought the 10 gal is the lower cost to get running and try out (being less of everything) then turning my 50 FW into SW (which still has tenants)

you know, that is about what I thought.. it is amazing what you are told at the LFS..

One said 5 fish MAX

one said MAX of 5 inches of fish (full grown)

I will do research prior to buying anything

At least you know enough to sniff out the BS..... You're off to a great start right there. (y)

One also mentioned Turbo Snails?

Do I need some sort of clean up crew?

You could go with a turbo or two, but they can get quite large, and will probably look way out of place in a 10g. Personally, I'd probably go with a couple/few cerith snails, and definitely a nassarius. The ceriths stay smaller, and have decent appetite for their size. The nassarius snails are just cool, especially at feeding time, and both they & the ceriths bury themselves in the sand, which gives you some stirring action.

As far as other CUC, you could go with a couple of peppermint or sexy shrimp for some neat variety. Skunk cleaners are neat, but again.... they can get quite large & would look monstrous in a 10g.

There are quite a few things you can do to make a 10g interesting, just very limited on fish, unfortunately.......

Last edited:
On another note.... I went back & re-read your posts, and you didn't mention anything about how you were going to cycle the tank. I do hope you are going with fishless cycle????

On another note.... I went back & re-read your posts, and you didn't mention anything about how you were going to cycle the tank. I do hope you are going with fishless cycle????

Yes I am.. I have water in there cycling..

What do I do now? What/when do check and what am I checking?

Yes I am.. I have water in there cycling..

What do I do now? What/when do check and what am I checking?

Since its such a small tank, do weekly water tests or more often then that just to monitor what stage your cycle is in, you tank should be fully cycled in 2-3wks

dummy me, I forgot to get a test kit yesterday.. I will get one this week.. Suggestion on one? Keep in mind my 11 yr old has to be able to do it too..

What are you using as an ammonia source for your cycle?

If you're running a fish-only tank (no corals), an API Saltwater master test kit will do.

dummy me, I forgot to get a test kit yesterday.. I will get one this week.. Suggestion on one? Keep in mind my 11 yr old has to be able to do it too..

API makes a great test kit, its a 25ct and comes in a blue plastic pop top tube but sells in a blister packaged box its the color coded ph strips, or the master kit nut it could prove challenging for an 11 yr old but there's only one way to learn right.

Back
Top Bottom