My SW aquarium setup list...Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzafugasi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am starting a 55 gallon setup FOWLR. I am a bit confused on what type of chemical/mechanical filtration I will need. I read a lot of threads, some say a sump is good, some say its not needed, some say all you need is live rock and a protein skimmer....Thats why im confused :) So this is what im planning:
55 gallon aquarium w/ stand
50-75lbs of live rock
30 lbs CC, 2 power heads for circulation, protein skimmer, heater, therm, hydrometer, test kits, etc.
My real issue is the filtration. I understand how the biological filtration works with the LR. would it be ideal to get a HOB filter such as the Emperor 400 and take out the bio wheels? I want to run carbon and fiber for chem/mech filtration, so what would be a good combo?
I was also looking into the aquaclear pro 75 wet dry filter with built in skimmer, but then i read that the bio balls are unneccessary if there is LR... so I wouldnt want to spend over 200 bux for this wet/dry filter if it not needed. I appreciate any help, sorry for all the ?'s, but im new to this :)

i think u would be good to go with just the rock and a skimmer and maybe the emperor if u want to run carbon now and then....right now im just running my tank with just lr filtration

If you get the remora protein skimmer with the optional surface skimmer (recommended anyways), you can run carbon using the protein skimmer.

thanks for the replies...
what about the wet/dry filter? would it benefit me in my plan? are they better/worse to use w/ live rock and are the bio balls necessary w/ live rock? i understand the benefits of a sump, i am aiming for clear and clean water, and i know there is no "right answer" just want something that will more than do the job.

well i have that wet/dry filter. i took out the bioballs and the bottom egg crate and put live rock and 4 in of live sand in it. and i find it really small. it dose not hold much water. if i was to do this again i would get some thing like this. the aquafuge pro refugium it is 350 with out the light and 400 with the light. it is bigger and you have a place to grow the maco.that you can get at drfosterandsmith.com. you would then have to get an hob over flow kit and a skimmer. or you could get this from marine depot. the berlin sumps. i would get the biggest one they have and then fill it with sand and live rock. then have maco growing in there. if you got that you still would have to get an over flow and a skimmer. and both would need a return pump. get a mag.

one this i will say is that is hobby is very $$$ and takes a lot of time. do your homework and dont skip on some things. some times it is better to get the more $$ becasue the cheaper stuff might now work and then you will have to replace it and it will cost you more money in the long run.

I assume you're thinking of a protein skimmer that's got it's own pump...I would look into those because I'm not so certain that they are the best choice for a good, effective skimmer...maybe someone can say something about that here.....but if you are going for one that doesn't have a pump, remember that the pump that drives it would best go in the sump, as would the pump for a UV if you decide you want one and some other things can go in there too, like your heater and different kinds of media, like carbon, if you chose to use those. It really helps avoid clutter in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom