Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank didn't cycle?"?!?!?

So I'm not trying to put this off on the place I bought my salt water stuff from but whenever I was told what cycling was and the necessities to cycle well what they left out was the bacteria?!?!?!? Maybe I am wrong but when I bought all my supplies they told me my tank would cycle just by using live rock. But after reading on here I believe that's untrue. A few maybe familiar with my story but needless to say I've wasted a ton of money on fish and food and killed two innocent clown fish in this long four month process. My light went off today when I went there to check my levels which I have been doing weekly and noticed my ammonia levels were through the roof and as we put my water under a microscope literally and found no bacteria. That my tank is currently trying to cycle!!!! They gave me a pad with bacteria on it to put in my tank. My question is where to go from here? Obviously a ton more research on my part but as you see with my tank finally actually cycling I have plenty of time to catch up. So please help!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First, you need enough rock in your tank to house beneficial bacteria.1-2 lbs per gallon.

Second, you need an ammonia source for the bacteria colonies to grow. This is part of the nitrogen cycle also known as cycling a tank.

Third, add fish slowly. One or two at a time only and allow 3-4 weeks before adding more. This allows time for bacteria colonies to adjust(increase) to the added bio load.

Last, don't trust LFS. They are there to make money!

Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Additional notes. During cycling you need to maintain an ammonia source so you have enough bacteria to handle fish. If there is no ammonia source the bacteria colony will shrink and not be able to convert ammonia(lethal) to nitrites and then nitrates.

Some use pure ammonia to cycle but putting raw shrimp in a filter bag is easier. The decaying shrimp will produce ammonia to generate a big enough bacteria colony to START supporting fish.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Additional notes. During cycling you need to maintain an ammonia source so you have enough bacteria to handle fish. If there is no ammonia source the bacteria colony will shrink and not be able to convert ammonia(lethal) to nitrites and then nitrates.

Some use pure ammonia to cycle but putting raw shrimp in a filter bag is easier. The decaying shrimp will produce ammonia to generate a big enough bacteria colony to START supporting fish.
I was reading a doing the raw shrimp and I'm going today to pick it up my other question is this going to kill the snails and hermit crabs I have in there? I really can't believe I never thought of this....

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If your ammonia is off the charts like you say it is there is no reason the add the raw shrimp . It is possible the inverts will not survive.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek View Post
If your ammonia is off the charts like you say it is there is no reason the add the raw shrimp . It is possible the inverts will not survive.
Yeah they use a little yellow tablet and when it turns a green color that's showing ammonia and mine turned it into a very dark green. I am going to buy the test kit myself so I can start measuring daily

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get liquid test kits. Test strips aren't accurate enough.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Get liquid test kits. Test strips aren't accurate enough.
Is there a particular brand?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use API currently and they work for me. Many say salifert and Red Sea are more accurate. I may switch when mine are done/expire just to try the others out.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Api kits are fine for the cycle but if you want a reef you'll want more accurate kits

Tags
cycle, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com