Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My tank has finished cycling and my lr needs some help

Hi all,

I have posted some pics in the past and mentioned my 450g marine setup. I have cycled this tank for 2 months and have added a Yellow Tang and some Green Chromis.

When my lr first came it looked very nice. As the tank cycled the colors faded and the rock lost its nice appearance. Many of you said this is normal and the corraline will return. While I was cleaning the tank today I realized that besides the large chunks of die-off that are hanging all over the place, there is a very large amount of detritus covering the rock. I vaccumed as much as I could during the water change, but with 380lbs worth I did not get close to all of it (I mean there is a ton of this junk).

Is this normal? I feel like if a use a strong pump such as my Mag 9.5 to blast away this garbage it will be the most helpful. What do you think?

Thanks,
Pete R.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
What kind of filtration are you using? In a tank that size, some pretty fierce water flow would be needed to keep the detritus off the rocks, and even then you won't get anywhere near all of it. I take a turkey baster to my rocks to blast alot of the gunk off. Or, try using a small tube( as a vaccum) to get the harder to reach places.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

TURKEY BASTE IT! You can turkey baste it right before you do a water change, and then you'll end up sending some of that gunk on a return trip to the ocean.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a tank that size your hand will get tired in a hurry using the turkey baster

I would use a pump as you mentioned and when you do a WC and if you can get a canister filter and run it while you do that with some filter floss to help clear the water up.
With only 4 fish I dought the waste is from them its just left over die off, What kind of clean up crew do you have? Crabs will help with this.. I would get a large number of crabs to help keep the lr clean. With 350 lbs lr you will need a large number of crabs... I would a good mix of blue, red, scarlet hermits..

coralline algae growth take a while to get going some times. Do you test your calcium(400-480) and alkalinity(9-11)? You will need to us a additive to keep these levels up and regular water changes also helps keep levels up.
Also I see you have MH lighting.... MH tends to slow Coralline growth from what I have seen. I'm not saying you can't grow coralline if you have MH its that it seems to grow slower when MH are used.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
With 350 lbs lr you will need a large number of crabs... I would a good mix of blue, red, scarlet hermits..
How many would you recommend?

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As many as you can efford... :P

In a tank that size it could easily take a hundred + crabs..... Snails will also be a big help...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
As many as you can efford...
That's the answer to a lot of questions in this hobby!!!!

Livestock I added:

Old 03-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

A turkey baster will work well. You might want to consider throwing on a canister filter or two if you have them. This will just help clear the water faster and remove some detritus. You can remove them when the clean up is done.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is the detritus brownish in color (small chunks, some of it a little stringy)?

Some corals and inverts yet to be identified!
nickthapainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
steve-s

Personally I would opt for a good mix of snail species over crabs. Absolutely no concern to coral species and will do just as good if not better a job if choosing the right species.

Here are some you could look at:

Nassarius great for detritus, carion and the sand bed.
Nerite especially good at film algaes.
Cerith cleans both the glass and the sand bed..
Margarita another excellent algae eater.
Banded Trochus IME, the best bang for your buck you'll ever get in an algae grazer.

Given your tank size, a few fighting conch's would be a good addition to the sandbed once it's matured a bit more. The only one I would really stear clear of is true Astraea sp. In a tank that size they will quickly become fodder. They cannot right themselves without help and typically die soon after if not helped up.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com