Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank has no lid, any ideas?

I again, I have a 55gal tank that I got for free, problem is, there was no lid at all, at at the time of me setting it up and everything I didn't know at all how important a lid was.

~question is how and where can I get a lid for my tank?

~I have a aqualung t5 light source is it even possible to have a lid with that light set up?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass canopy ftw it's what I have on mine. Most lfs carry them or can order that way if it doesn't fit you can return it

Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I go open top... I hear there is better gas exchange that way. I run a netting top to keep the jumpers in
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer
I go open top... I hear there is better gas exchange that way. I run a netting top to keep the jumpers in
Ooo really this netting protecting, is it easy to get? Any pet store or regular store sells them? Or is it a custom job??
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's what it looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1735308633.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	126210
Old 10-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince

Ooo really this netting protecting, is it easy to get? Any pet store or regular store sells them? Or is it a custom job??
Usually custom... I built mine from wood and netting, but it's falling apart lol 8-( There's a kit
you can buy from bulkreefsupply.com costs probably $40 ish...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:

Usually custom... I built mine from wood and netting, but it's falling apart lol 8-( There's a kit
you can buy from bulkreefsupply.com costs probably $40 ish...
Aaahhh ok nice nice, ps your tank is sweet looking, awesome live rock.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! It actually looks a bit different now that I had to go and make a couple "adjustments"... Actually upgrading to a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump shortly. But staying on topic, your light most likely won't work with a lid anyways. Some people get glass or plexiglass custom cut to their
top, but I've come to understand the benefits of an open top, like gas exchange and beneficial light coming through.. Plus I actually like the look of it better (other than having a full blown canopy)...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks! It actually looks a bit different now that I had to go and make a couple "adjustments"... Actually upgrading to a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump shortly. But staying on topic, your light most likely won't work with a lid anyways. Some people get glass or plexiglass custom cut to their
top, but I've come to understand the benefits of an open top, like gas exchange and beneficial light coming through.. Plus I actually like the look of it better (other than having a full blown canopy)...
Yea you have appoint, I do like it without and looks nice, I keep hearing the water will evaporate a lot faster thou, will that become a problem?? If it is true that is.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince

Yea you have appoint, I do like it without and looks nice, I keep hearing the water will evaporate a lot faster thou, will that become a problem?? If it is true that is.
Yea I mean you will get evap. It's inevitable. BUT, think about all that salt building up on the underside of a lid... All that you will need to clean, plus it will significantly block lighting over time. You will see, check out the underside of your lights after a few weeks... They need to be cleaned. And just think about if it were only a couple inches off the surface of the water. Would get pretty messy. Topping off evaporated water is part of the hobby. You will have to get used to doing it every couple days depending.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com