Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Tank over heated 90+ degrees over night plz help!!

As the title suggests my Saltwater aquarium over heated last night because of a faulty heater running full blast all night the majority of my fish are dead but now i'm just kinda concerned about my corals and anemones i've got sealed ice packs floating in the tank attempting to cool it (i've obviously removed the broken heater) and i swapped some water. The temperature is dropping but will my corals and anemones be alright?

I've cooled the water by about 10-15 degrees now back down to reasonable lvls but please i need advice

Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If they made it so far theres a good chance they'll be ok. My question is why did you have the heater on in the middle of summer. I haven't had a heater in my tank in ten years.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Tabordan
I am by no means an expert but you might want to check into whether you should dip them after being heat stressed like that.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the heater was turned all the way down so it shouldn't have kicked on unless the water temp dropped below 70 degrees thats the only reason its in there. i have since removed the heater it looks like the only things to survive were the corals anemones along with three apparently very hardy Pajama Cardinals. I'll call the local reef shop and ask if i need to dip the corals
Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

when it comes to a heater that's going to be used in your tank with fish and corals that im sure all adds up to a pretty penny I would go with the best possible heater you can buy. As fare as the solution to this problem not sure, I dont know if i would of put ice packs in though because now your bring the temp back down that much. So going up 10-15 degrees over night then going back down 10-15 degrees that a lot of stress in a little amount of time. hopefully they will pull through though.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Just put a fan over your tank or your sump to slowly bring the temp back down. Your corals may look stressed for a few days because of the change but most will pull through if they do. You will know within a few days I'm sure as other start to look better
Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone for the most part the corals i have are pretty sturdy it looks like but only time will tell still waiting for my reef shop to open so i can call them...
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Main thing is to make sure your oxygen levels come back. Make sure you have a power head aimed up at the top of the water for surface breakage. When tanks overheat oxygen is lost- probably why your fish are all dead. The water change helped I'm sure. Also- you will probably need to do a water change in a few days to remove the converted nitrates from the die off so that your corals are not affected from that.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

To make sure that my tank stays at the right temp through all the heat recently, I just keep the AC turned on through the day. It is an energy saver so it isn't that big of a problem.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, night, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com