Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank ready??

This is what my nitrite readings have looked like for about 2 weeks or so. For nitrite to be 0 on my test kit, it has to be yellow. The liquid in the vial is yellow, but kinda a darker yellow, kinda gold. Is this zero? Like I said it has not dropped anymore and ammonia reads 0 as well. Can i finally add fish? I had to take the pic off to the side because of the flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2447.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	24203  

Old 06-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANLAWRENCE View Post
This is what my nitrite readings have looked like for about 2 weeks or so. For nitrite to be 0 on my test kit, it has to be yellow. The liquid in the vial is yellow, but kinda a darker yellow, kinda gold. Is this zero? Like I said it has not dropped anymore and ammonia reads 0 as well. Can i finally add fish? I had to take the pic off to the side because of the flash.
You should take a reading for Nitrate first just to make sure you did get a cycle. How high was your ammonia and nitite at one point?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

My test kit doesnt have nitrate but the lfs tested it and said i did have nitrates i cant remember what concentration he said though. Ammonia at one point got to 1.5mg/l and nitrite got to .8mg/l at one point. Ammonia dropped quickly to 0 but the nitrite has been hanging around for a while till about two weeks ago. I did a light feeding and let the food break down and saw no increase in ammonia or nitrite so i think im good. What do you think/
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
My test kit doesnt have nitrate but the lfs tested it and said i did have nitrates i cant remember what concentration he said though. Ammonia at one point got to 1.5mg/l and nitrite got to .8mg/l at one point. Ammonia dropped quickly to 0 but the nitrite has been hanging around for a while till about two weeks ago. I did a light feeding and let the food break down and saw no increase in ammonia or nitrite so i think im good. What do you think/
You are probably good to go. Just add fish slowly.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

alright sounds good thanks for your help. If i added two occelaris clowns at the same time would that be too much for the first time?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
alright sounds good thanks for your help. If i added two occelaris clowns at the same time would that be too much for the first time?
Thats funny, I was actually going to suggest adding 2-clownfish but I didn't because I don't know what size tank you have. But, I'm sure its big enough for 2-clowns. What size tank and how much Live Rock?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

how old is the test kit? they can go bad over 6-8 months. Either way, you are probably fine, but you should definitely have all three test kits when you are first starting out. Its better to just spend the money on all the kits rather then having a problem go unseen and destroy your tank. Its one of those things we all hate doing, but ya gotta.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah when i bought it i could have sworn the box said nitrate on it too but i guess not. I guess i have to shell out another 35 dollars. And the tank is 40 gallons with about 35 lbs of live rock
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
yeah when i bought it i could have sworn the box said nitrate on it too but i guess not. I guess i have to shell out another 35 dollars. And the tank is 40 gallons with about 35 lbs of live rock
I still say go for it, just do a partial water change before you add your fish. You are testing 0-for Ammonia and 0-Nitrite and you said your LFS tested that you have some Nitrate... It sounds like you are cycled. Add one or two small Ocellaris Clowns. You should look into getting a Nitrate kit, you don't need to spend $35 on one, just find one of these:
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater/Saltwater Nitrate Test Kit, Test kit of 90 tests
Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

holy crap, they charge you 35 dollars!? The most i have ever paid for a test kit is around 30 for a magnesium. I would switch LFS.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com