my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone say hi to skeeter:). He's been out and about a lot more lately
283062_2198361764757_1418647088_2543618_2831473_n.jpg

Correct carey:) a very adventurous and now viewable scooter blenny. And he has a blood red tail for some reason, well I mean the pattern in his tail is blood red

Correct carey:) a very adventurous and now viewable scooter blenny. And he has a blood red tail for some reason, well I mean the pattern in his tail is blood red

Mine also has the blood red tail with a pattern on it. Its very cool. Does yours put up his little sailfin thing alot? I havent been able to catch a picture of mine doing it lol

Not all the time but a lot :) he reminds me of some british/english royalty...he always has his fins spread out and holds his head up like he's better than everyone lol. Tonights readings
Ammo-0
Trites-0
Trates-2.5
Alkalinity-300
Ph-8
Sitting at 81 tempwise......
Think its safe to move to everyother day testing carey?

I would test every couple of days now, it seems the parameters are stable. I'd test if something looks amiss but otherwise skip a few days and see. The only thing that should go up is the nitrates, and not by very much.
:)

Good deal:) I'm glad the tank is finally stabilizing. Any ideas what kind of hermit I have? Also gonna be calling and reserving our next fish within the next few days, and may be picking up a black spine sea urchin next week as well

thank you Carey:) forgot to mention that we got a pic of our huma-huma reservation at the lfs. here it is

283949_2203044241816_1418647088_2547345_5829175_n.jpg

Well got some very unfortunate news:( skeeter, our scooter blenny has passed away...... I was doing some tinkering with the skimmer and noticed him layin belly up:( had to scoop him out with the net and flush him. My girl cried for 20 minutes after I told her....I'm genuinely upset, he was doing soo good and was so active in the tank...he even displayed a lot. Not to try and replace him, but we are gonna keep an eye out at our lfs over the next few weeksto see if we can't find a different blenny that's more suitable for our tank. So disappointed right now, feel like a failure

Wow, sorry to hear that. I saw a scooter blenny at the LFS and it was so cute I wanted to grab it. But before I did I did a little research and asked carey and she said they were pretty difficult to keep. So I strayed from it.

Sorry to hear the news huma, he was a darling little thing.

Yes, they are difficult to keep as you can see. I'm sure you can find a suitable fish to put in it's place. How about a midas blenny? Beautiful fish, I'm on the look out for one myself.
I felt the same way when I lost my fish, like I failed them somehow. :(

Just don't replace it with a mandarin

yeah i talked to my gf about it and we are gonna keep it in the back of our minds when we go fishy shopping for the next few weeks...IF we get another blenny, im going to make sure he/she eats prepared food before we buy.. as of right now, we are going to continue our stock list. im torn up about losing him, he was a smaller fish and not really a "centerpiece" but he was one of our favorite lil guys. and no mandarin for us

well theres always the future, a 125 will be big enough to produce pods for a mandarin in time if you're willing to wait.

I've never really put much thought or time into the mandarins, imma go check them out though, if I like perhaps in a few months ill purchase one. Did my testing tonight. Results as follows
ammo-0
Trites-0
Trates-15
alk-300
Ph- 8
Sg-1.0245
Temp-80
Wasn't quite expecting trates to jump like that.....but its been 3 days since the pwc and looks like ill be doing one tomorrow morning. I think I can attribute the trate jumps to me adding all the fish in within a 48hr period.... I know I'm supposed to gradualy introduce them but life in their 5g transfer bucket wasn't doing too well ...just gonna do a pwc tomrrow and ride it out, things are smoothing out slowly but surely

Dude, just buy a few Copepods and introduce them into your tank so you can get your mandarin! That's what I'm doing because they are beautiful.

Don't tempt me lol. I'm heading to my lfs on friday to pick up salt,refractometer and a danged dog-faced puffer for my girl

Back
Top Bottom