Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I can't really see how you'll be nagging or upsetting him, he wants to sell and you're buying!

Not too sure about your stock list though...

Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Where is the stock list? I didnt see it....

Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
And also decided that we are gonna sell the maroon and yellow clown and get 1 orange ocellaris and a b&w perculla, a lawnmower blenny, and baby volitan lionfish... I know a lot of you are gonna say bad idea on the lionfish, but if the clowns reach adult size as the loinfish does, he should leave them alone.....
Save him a job! lol
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, I didn't see the lionfish. I would totally skip that and focus on the cooler saltwater fish. There are soo many and you have a 125g so you can get tangs and other neat fish. You have a great advantage with that tank size that others would dream of having.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ughh I know its tearing at me, the lionfish is hands down my favorite fish, not even close. And I kept saying no to saltwater..until I seen him. Idk though I really don't wanna limit myself severely. . And to be honest, that stock list is extremely premature....I really am just starting to piece together what fish can co-inhabit and what can't...soo as of right now its pretty much just a "go to my lfs and note which fish I like"
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad youre open minded, you have so much tank and so many choices! Thats your best bet, see what you like in the stores and online and then research research research LOL
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

See from all the research I've done, I've come to understand that yes a Lionfish is limiting. But. From what I can tell, they aren't always uber-aggressive and they only eat fish that they can fit into their mouths....if I went with a lion, it would start off as a 2" baby and grow...but I'm gonna force myself to take it slow and do it right. I'm not buying a single fish until I get it stabilized and consistant...ohh and I'm picking up the tank sat morning! So by sat night, ill be staring at my new livingroom centerpiece sooo excited
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ok so here's my million dollar question....obviously without making several trips and using a dozen containers..... I can't save all the water.....if I save roughly 60 gallons of the current water, could I simply replace the other 40 percent without having to cycle?? Itd be the equivalent of a 40 percent water change.....both the sand and live rock will be completely submerged the whole time
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

when I bought my tank off cl, I regret keeping any of the existing water, it was high in nitrates, really high. The water does not keep any bacteria, its in the rocks and filter media. You will need to rinse the sand thoroughly to avoid releasing nitrates into the new water. Someone on here had a method of using a pillow cover and pouring saltwater through it to rinse the sand (good way to use the old water that you transport the rocks and livestock in). Mix up new water Friday so that it has time to settle or get the tank home, rinse the sand, put the water in mix it in there overnight without any livestock or rock in there at all, then once it has come up to the correct temp and you have your salinity correct, add the live rock, sand, and then drip acclimate the fish.

It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort. I didn't keep any of the sand, put in over 100lbs of new sand for a deep sand bed (dsb), kept the rock and unfortunately some of the water, and had no cycle at all. I kept the live stock and rocks in a rubbermaid container as I picked them up three days before the tank because I didn't want to worry about anyone dying on me on the day of moving the tank. Maybe you could go do that Friday, get the fish and rock in rubbermaid containers. If you do, you have to keep the water moving with a power head and a heater. Good luck!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah getting anything the day before is not an option, looks like imma save about 30 gallons to transport everything in and that's it

Tags
1.5g, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com