my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ohh and another question, when I mix the new saltwater, once I get it to the correct salinity, can I fill the 125 and submerge my live rock in it? Or am I better off lettin it settle first then transfering the live rock?

Make sure your parameters are stable first! I know youre excited but just make sure. :)

If you are getting clowns i'd recommend getting 2 nemos, one little one bigger. That way they can pair up easier.

My pool filter sand came in 50lb bags, I would empty half a bag at a time then rinse til clear and repeat. I almost gave up on the last bag too, I was so exhausted. LOL But I hadda have the dsb.....hopefully it pays off

Ohh and another question, when I mix the new saltwater, once I get it to the correct salinity, can I fill the 125 and submerge my live rock in it? Or am I better off lettin it settle first then transfering the live rock?

You can put the LR in as soon as you have enough water to cover it completlely. I'd actually recommend doing that. And make sure the water temp is right too. If you have powerheads I'd put one on the keep the water circulating around the rocks.
But thats just me ;-)

Thank you Carey:) if I could get a mated pair I'd be beyond excited! And I feel that other then the physical strain of setting up a big tank like this, the excitement is the worse part. I just wanna set it up and start buying fish, but I know I cant

I'm stuck in a holding pattern myself. After loosing two fish recently I'm gun shy to add any more but I SOO wanna. LOL

Maybe your LFS can order you a mated pair, I waited about a month for a healthy ORA pair of black and white clowns. But it was so worth the wait. they are my tiniest babies, they were orange when I got them they were that small. :)

Oh my you have a mated ORA pair?? Yep I'm def driving down and stealing them! I been looking at the ORA clowns they have. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? I don't believe I have an ORA-authorized store around me

I paid $80 for them both, but like I said it took weeks for them to get a healthy pair, and they were beyond tiny, like .5 an inch and orange. It was very cool to watch them grow up to turn black, but their faces are still a light orange but they are young, maybe 5 months old?

I ordered an ORA spotted mandarin last week, he is supposed to come in next week sometime. I've very excited.

She ordered it to her lfs but check out live aquaria. They have mated clowns from time to time

you don't need to buy mated clowns... just get two small clowns and one will get big and they will pair up... I have done it twice and they are awesome.

Getting two small ones will not always ensure a pairing. It is often successful, but one should be larger than the other to reduce the amount of sparring over dominance. The larger will simply become the female instead of two similar sized clowns fighting and possibly injuring or killing each other over it.

Well tank, stand, equipment. Rock and fish have made the trip:) only broke a plastic coupling on the overflow :( 10.99 at my fishy store fixes that! Got to finish up now, updates and pics later

Yeah the excitement has settles a bit and I'm calming down some, have a lot of work ahead of me, currently have 80-90 pounds of L.R. In my 55 with new saltwater and a ph going:) fish are in 5 gallon bucket with airstone until tonight when I get home from work, then imma try to acclimate them to the 55, given the parameters are ok

267849_2168219411217_1418647088_2500105_5502620_n.jpg

Off to the left on the floor is my 55g with new saltwater and lr...got a ph runnin in there for flow. And on the floor in front of my tv is our lovely kitten completely dead asleep....he falls asleep in the weirdest positions. I currently have the 5 fish in a 5g bucket of old sw with a small air stone hooked up, do I need a ph in there too or is that too much?

267800_2168313733575_1418647088_2500366_4281970_n.jpg

A better shot of the 55....I'm done work at 11pm tonight so imma focus on fixing the overflow bulkhead tn and hopefully fill the tank with water tm....along with sand cleaning

All in all its an amazing deal...guy asked me for 350 originally but only wanted 300 for it today due to a cf bulb burning out.
So for 300 bucks I got the tank,stand, 100 lbs of sand, another 50lbs of brand new playsand, 100 lbs of live rock, an emperor 400, a 300w water heater, an in-sump protein skimmer w/ pump, a hob protein skimmer, a 72" aqualife 4-bulb hood w/ 6 blue led moonlights, an est refugiulm, 2 grocery bags of testing supplies, 4 fish (1 engineer goby, 1 MaY clown, a niger trigger and 2 domino damsels) and a ton of extras! Not too bad

Well the tank is setup and filled, got about 95 percent of the lr in along with all the clean sand. The refugium is also in place but I haven't started running it. I'm prety sure my livingroom floor hates me (what with all 1200 lbs sitting on it) depressing news is only 1 10k white and 1 actinic work:( but the blue moonlights look amazing at night! The cloudiness is subsiding and I can almost see from one end to the other:) almost. I am beyond happy that I decided to pick this up:)

Back
Top Bottom