my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I think I want some more pictures. I wanna see the fish and rock and the sump and the refugium.....and everything LOL

Ok ok ill get ya some more pics, had to transfer the fish to the 125 though, situation got dire in the 5 gallon transport bucket, I did do 3 seperate tests on the 125 before acclimating, all fish are out and healthy so far...knock on wood. Now since I'm stuck at work ill work on uploading some pics:)

Ok here's the tank setup in our livingroom:)
269107_2170337464167_1418647088_2503300_7406433_n.jpg

Comments on the rock layout? Got another 20-30 lbs that imma build up the center more

Lol yes, my 4 year old son is obsessed with scooby, he will mumble the words for every episode, if you look at my last pic, in the bottom left is my face lol.

On a more fish related topic, my 96w square-pin cf bulbs are 53 bucks a piece at my lfs.....pleeeaseee help me in finding a reputable online store that I can get them cheaper...I'm running on 1 10k white and 1 actinic right now:(

why not upgrade from PC to T5s, you can find great deals on e bay for them and just buy quality lamps from marinedepot or something

I'm def gonna upgrade, there's no question about that, but I'm gonna use my current fixture and simply gut it out and buy some t5 retrofit kits, would love to run 8 bulb setup but don't think I can fit that many in this hood...what would you recommend for low-mid light corals?? I may go led, but haven't decided, I love diy projects so if I go the led route, I'd be buying the diy led kits and fabricating a hood

Thank you for the links:) imma look into selling my hood and upgrading. I'm liking the 149 price for the 4 footer but 170 for a similar 2 footer?? wasn't expecting that, that's 310 in just the hood, granted I get 16 bulbs total but they are 6500k's

you can get a kit for moon lights from e bay for like $20.

and agreed the 2 footer is a little off on the price, that was just a quick pull of items, i paid 110 for my 4 lamp and when i was lookign i remember the 8 lamp version for 130ish i believe.

you'll need more then the 6500k lamps, you could get away with two of them but you'll want some blues and daylights.

that beign said with a 8 lamp system you'll probably be able to only grow SPS and clams, and an 8 lamp fixture is abotu 24" wide so it won't fit to well

a 6 lamp is all you really need for a 18" deep 125g, then you can have an assortment of corals from the sand bed to the top, SPS will even fro in the mid sections.

I'm very happy with my 12 bulb fixture. The 6 bulbs on either side seem to give good penetration and light the front to the back adequately.

While my corals are getting used to these crappy used bulbs, I expect they will bounce back once I get the appropriate ones. Thats def one thng not to skimp on, the bulbs. :)

And for rock, reefcleaners.org has cleaner crews and free shipping on 55 pounds of base rock for only 100

Thank you for the tips:) I'm gonna ultimately end up with a 12 bulber, but obviously imma go with 2 seperate hoods and just find a way to join them together, that way it'll give me different lightin combos. On another note, parameters are still good. Not even seeing a spike so far with. The fish in there. I noticed some white tubeworms already fanning out, along with a few reds popping up :) fish are doing well and ill get a new pic up of the updated scaping and now clear water.

You're not kidding, its pretty simple though now that I got it all up and running, only problem I'm having is my rturn jets are pumping out a decent bit of micro bubbles:( its giving the tank a cloudy appearance, any ideas how to stop the micro bubbles? I'm not running my protein skimmer yet so its just a pump that's running. If I can't get rid of them its ok, not a must, just a lil nuissance.

Back
Top Bottom