my unexpected 125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i guess im a cat now... also you could use 6x's the amount of water.. i know it seems weird, but that's for sure correct. Dilute it down 6x's and then you'd multiply by six to see what it is on your card... 6x's the water on card .4*6 =2.4 youre set then

huma-huma said:
Anybody know if I can run my skimmer while doing the treatment?? It doesn't mention not running it

What I have read, turn ur skimmer off...

what all is copper going to kill? starfish? shrimp? snails? just in case i have to do some thing drastic in my little 40g

Yeah forget any shrimp, crabs, snails and the likes... prob THE best benefit of going the fowlr predatory route

Doesn't copper also kill the beneficial bacteria in the rocks and sand? I would've definitely gone hypo since it's much safer for the fish.

If you think about it, why would it kill ich and marine velvet but not the beneficial bacteria? The copper doesn't know the difference lol. If you haven't started yet, I would read up more just to make sure. Everywhere I look says to only do copper in a bare quarantine tank.

I know that ich is a parasite... which could change some things. But either way I removed some lr and placed it in a 10g so that way if I were to need it, its there...gonna watch parameters for next few days and then prob after a week or so if the treatment works, ill put the rock back in after doing a decent pwc... atleast that's my gameplan right now...

Well looks like I may have just completely screwed myself....I don't know what I should do, if anything... I think im gonna let it sit for a while and go from there

huma-huma said:
Well looks like I may have just completely screwed myself....I don't know what I should do, if anything... I think im gonna let it sit for a while and go from there

Why u say that?what happened? I would be scared to do copper treatment, but I'm also an invert-reef kinda girl... Keeping my fingers crossed
If copper doesn't work I would leave it alone IMO... it's can't get any worse besides killing ur fish, and it doesn't seam to get better by driving yourself (and the fishies) crazy. But let's see what's gonna happen first

Copper is actually a very effective bacteria/parasite assassin...:( therefore meaning im prob killing off ALL of my live rock.. so my choices are
1. Leave it and deal with it cycling afterwards..
2. Do a 50% pwc to get copper level down low enough to not kill my live rock... (waste of money for buying copper)
3. Remove all live rock, hypo tank with fish in.
4. Just leave it alone and hope fir the best...

I refuse to lose any of these fish, they are our absolute favorites and im not wanting to handle the fallout of them dying

i personally would set up the other tank, move a bunch of rock over... leave some in to help keep the water clean, run your skimmer and gear up for extra pwc's...

huma-huma said:
Copper is actually a very effective bacteria/parasite assassin...:( therefore meaning im prob killing off ALL of my live rock.. so my choices are
1. Leave it and deal with it cycling afterwards..
2. Do a 50% pwc to get copper level down low enough to not kill my live rock... (waste of money for buying copper)
3. Remove all live rock, hypo tank with fish in.
4. Just leave it alone and hope fir the best...

I refuse to lose any of these fish, they are our absolute favorites and im not wanting to handle the fallout of them dying

Hmmm if you are transferring the LR, aren't you also transferring the ich ?! you can't use the stones afterwards...
Sorry, you may have covered that in previous discussions, but What about those ich-cure meds?! Did those do anything?!

yes he's transferring the ich, but if he leaves them out of tank for 6-8 weeks then ich on rocks is dead...

kurtyboh said:
yes he's transferring the ich, but if he leaves them out of tank for 6-8 weeks then ich on rocks is dead...

So what is he gonna use in the mean time for bacteria?!
Oh my oh my, I feel for you huma. This is a really stupid situation... I keep my fingers crossed, really don't know what else to do to help

the copper is going to kill the bac anyhow, so what will he be using then? the same as moving the lr over and keeping it until the time in which it is needed.

well i did a 25g pwc to try and atleast knock down the copper levels to maybe a point at which its not killing off ALL my live rock, and put the rock back in the tank... im just gonna hold tight and see where it goes... maybe the copper will gradually kill off the ich..maybe it wont.. with all aspects considered, i think that tranferring the fish to the 55 and hypo'ing it would be the simplest of my options... only problem is among the fish i have, theres the volitan lion (poisonous spines), the long-nosed butterflyfish(spines) 2 triggers(wicked teeth and barbs) and a tang ( impossible to catch).... so yeah its gonna suck ...for lack of better word.

I'm still worried about the whole stressing-thing, as stupid as it may sound to most people.
Fish are very sensitive.
My tang had weird stuff going in for the first week in the new tank after being in QT for several weeks. Don't know if the way-too-small-for-tang QT did it, or the transfer to new tank, but he was peeling, had HLLE even with balanced food, and his fins were getting "moldy". Now he is happy and healthy, thinking he owns the entire 120g LOL Every sign of sickness disappeared and none of the other fish got anything. I didnt do anything to "fix" him, just time, peace and quiet (and a good healthy diet).
Don't know if this story helps any, prolly not LOL, but sometimes it's just better to not do too much.
Changing tanks, chasing with nets etc has a big impact in a fish...

Sorry, in just trying to help

Back
Top Bottom