My Wife wants a Dory....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

My wife wants a Sturgon. I don't know the species, but its "Dory" from Finding Nemo(@work and can't look it up).

I know that my current tank is way too small, but what would I need to upgrade to to fit a Sturgon. I was thinking a 60gal long, which is 48" long .

My current tank is a 37gal. Stocking levels are
1 Damsel
1 Coral Beauty
1 Dottyback
2 Cleaner shrimp
2 Open Brain coral
1 Colt Coral

I would transfer these fish to the new tank, as wll as add the Sturgon and maybe 2 A. Pecula's Would a48" long 60gal be large enough?

Thanks

John

Ok the fish your talking about is a Regal Tang/Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus).

Your right your tank is WAY too small for this fish. It can grow to be 12-18"'s in length given the right environment and nutrition.

The minimum tank size in my opinion would be at least a 5ft tank of 100g or more. They love to swim and need the room.

;)

john0087 said:
My wife wants a Sturgon. I don't know the species, but its "Dory" from Finding Nemo(@work and can't look it up).

I would transfer these fish to the new tank, as wll as add the Sturgon and maybe 2 A. Pecula's Would a48" long 60gal be large enough?

Blue Hippo Tangs reach an adult length of 12" and need tons of swimming room, so the minimum size tank imo is a 125 gallon tank.

Here is the fish you are talking about:

http://marinedepotlive.com/blue-tang---paracanthurus-hepatus-fish--tangs.html

Yikes...I didn't realize they got that big, I was thinking 8-10inches max.

I don't think I could swing a 5' tank into my space, 4" would probably be the max. Goin up to a 75 only means the height will be taller, so that doesn't really help as far as swim space.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Pssst...Pssst the AA banner is a powder blue tang. The chattanooga reefers banner in revhtree's sig is a blue hippo. :)

Agree they need as big a tank as possible. With a juvenial though I would think you could go with something as small as a 90g (48")

Like the PBT these tangs are known to be touchy and ich prone and excellent water quality is a must.

Always recommed you get as big a tank the budget and space will allow.

Good luck,

Yes your tank is too small. Sounds like a good reason to get a new tank, depending on how bad your wife wants one.
I don't think I could swing a 5' tank into my space, 4" would probably be the max.
No such thing. Put the new tank in a room you do not need as much as a new tank. Like the kitchen or bathroom

Ya that's from a "seller's" list of requirments. Although they do pretty good, they are still looking to sale if you know what I mean. ;)

No such thing. Put the new tank in a room you do not need as much as a new tank. Like the kitchen or bathroom

:lol:

Don't think that the wifey will go for a large tank in any room other than the living room, but that would be awsome.

This whole thing went from me wanting a small seahorse tank, and she suggensted that I ugrade to a larger thak and use my 37gal as a seahorse tank. Of coarse, she said to do this when we buy a larger home....hehehe....not waiting that long.

I actually don't like the larger speiceis of fish, I would perfer a lot of smaller fish, like a school of chromis and 2 clowns, but we will se. I am heading to my LFS to see what size tanks they have.

If I go for an upgrade, its going to be like 4 month process. Gotta cure a lot of rock before I can evem make the move.....

Thanks all....

Let the LR cycle your tank=no curing.

So les say I buy 60# of base rock form hirocks.com, I can put 20# into my current tanl and let it cycle with no dieoff and no spikes.

I can then add the rest of the new bese rocks into the new tank when I am ready? Does anyone know how long it takes for base rock to become "live rock"?

How long after establishing the new tank should I wait before adding new livestock?

Thanks

I would not keep a regal blue tang in anything less than a 600 gallon tank. But then again, I am much more humane and thoughtful than most of you...

Oh, and just kidding...

Sorry to revisit an old topic.

Ok, so Tenercor has a 75 gal long, dims are 60x18x16. nice long and pretty wide tank, and low hight, which I like. Would this work with a Powder? Not bare minimun, but actually enough swim space? I figure the only difference between this and a 100gal is the height.

Thanks

I have a blue tang in my 28 gallon, and he did awesome, he got bigger (bought him at like an inch and eventually got into 6 inches and had to sell him. Im glad pixar researched their fish they used, blue tangs aren't the smartest fish in the tank :wink:

*NOTE* I had a 28 gallon nano/micro reef aquarium that had a turnover rate of over 1500 GPH, thats probably helped me a smidge

I bought my Hippo Tang about a year and a half ago. It was the size of a Dime. I housed it in my 20g for about 9 months. It is currently 4-5 inches and in my 55. In about 4-5 months it will be put into the 125. Although you need a long tank dont forget the width they need to turn around.

Back
Top Bottom