N00b question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pwnsaw

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I purchased a 60 gal tank/stand and the starting equipment for a reef tank. AC110, Maxijet 1200, 200w heater, test kits, salt, a couple of those dimmable Taotronics LEDs this forum loves, ordered a skimmer, blah blah blah.

The problem is that I rent my house, and it doesn't allow pets. I'm not too worried about it (The Man can't bring me down!) except I have an inspection in 2 weeks. Honestly, I don't think they would care, I pay my bills on time and keep the house immaculate, so I doubt they would want to quarrel with a model tenant. However, I figure why risk it, I'll just wait to set up till after the inspection. The thought of constructing a way to may the tank look like a closed armoir crossed my mind and may be a future way to go, but I'm not gonna rush to build stuff so I can cycle.

Which is where the question arises. If I were to mix some rodi saltwater in a Rubbermaid, put a bit of live rock, the heater, and run the filter, would it be constructive as far as building up some beneficial bacteria for a faster cycle once I do get the tank ready? Now I'm not asking if it would cycle it, I know it needs more time than that, but would it be constructive? I'd hate to just have all this equipment and just wait to cycle (which is more waiting! Yay!). Any insight would be lovely, and thanks in advance.

So, I purchased a 60 gal tank/stand and the starting equipment for a reef tank. AC110, Maxijet 1200, 200w heater, test kits, salt, a couple of those dimmable Taotronics LEDs this forum loves, ordered a skimmer, blah blah blah.

The problem is that I rent my house, and it doesn't allow pets. I'm not too worried about it (The Man can't bring me down!) except I have an inspection in 2 weeks. Honestly, I don't think they would care, I pay my bills on time and keep the house immaculate, so I doubt they would want to quarrel with a model tenant. However, I figure why risk it, I'll just wait to set up till after the inspection. The thought of constructing a way to may the tank look like a closed armoir crossed my mind and may be a future way to go, but I'm not gonna rush to build stuff so I can cycle.

Which is where the question arises. If I were to mix some rodi saltwater in a Rubbermaid, put a bit of live rock, the heater, and run the filter, would it be constructive as far as building up some beneficial bacteria for a faster cycle once I do get the tank ready? Now I'm not asking if it would cycle it, I know it needs more time than that, but would it be constructive? I'd hate to just have all this equipment and just wait to cycle (which is more waiting! Yay!). Any insight would be lovely, and thanks in advance.

Yes that is how I usually Breed my bb and turn my base rock into live. Your going to want to purchase a brand new Rubbermaid, and then just add a small piece of shrimp just as if you were to cycle it in your tank. Keep in mind that this wont cycle your tank, it may help it but there are many other places bb lives and grows such as sand, and other things... This will probably help your cycle go much faster though so I would go for it. Can't hurt to add live rock to a cycle at all.

Sweet, thnx I'm trying it out now. Glad I did actually because I'm familiarizing myself with my new equipment.

Back
Top Bottom