Name please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can someone give me a name for this, it's a hitchiker and I know it's filter feeder only because it's still alive and I've never fed it, but I'd like to find out the name so I can do more research on it. It's not in any of my books.

Thanks!

I am assuming you mean the polyps? They are clove polyps members of the Clavulariidae family, closely related to Clavularia and often confused with anthelia and xenia.

Nope, know what the polyps are, they are from my pipe organ coral, the hitchiker that I'm talking about are those grey tubey things attached to the skeleton.

they are from my pipe organ coral

hmmmm, maybe clove polyps are skeletonless pipe organ coral?? I think the pipe organ is also from the Clavulariidae family...so I wasn't that far off :p

The other thing looks like a chicken liver sponge or a tunicate to me.

LOL thanks Kevin! The tunicate is what I think I was looking for but couldn't remember the name. LOL you already have me confused on the other post of nutritous brine! Thanks for the help! :D

I am most likely getting a pipe organ coral tonight if they have one that i like, do you like yours?

It's my favorite coral, there is also a light green one out there too, ours is just white with a maroon skeleton, we keep ours towards the top of the tank in a low flow area and feed it twice a week with Sweetwater's zooplankton. I started to freak lately because the shape of it looked different and I had thought that the little brittle worm that lived inside was creating a crevice, but that wasn't the case, the polyps were getting longer and that's what gave it a different look. I've got a 40 gallon going now further down the line I'd like to get another Pipe Organ, my husband doesn't know that yet :twisted:

Good luck and congrats if you get one! Would love to see a pic of the one you get!

Cool, I am also looking at getting a purple skeleton and white polyped one. I have the perfect spot for it too! I already have zooplanton and cant wait to see if they have a healthy one in stock.

Back
Top Bottom