Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

[If I were you I would strip your canister of any and all media and use only live rock rubble.]

You could explain this please....you mean just have an empty filter or what....???

Old 01-13-2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically, remove all of the media from the canister filter and fill it up with LR rubble (small chunks of LR). It is a much better filter media.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lando, in the case of live rock rubble in the cannister filter, is there no mechanical filtration for particulate matter? I still use the old filter floss in there.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can certainly add some floss as mechanical filtration. It is very important to change it often.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would be so nice to find a place that has a bunch of live rock that "accidently" go all broken up so they couldn't sell it as live rock, that would price it at, like $.99 a pound!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so youve just got to buy the rock and break it up yourself? Also.....should the filter and powerhead be running at the same time ALL the time? or should the filter be turned off unless your doing a water change or something?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It would be so nice to find a place that has a bunch of live rock that "accidently" go all broken up so they couldn't sell it as live rock, that would price it at, like $.99 a pound!
Check with your LFS. There are typically rubble pieces in the bottom of the boxes LR is shipped in. I asked mine to just throw it in the curing tubes and ucre it along with the rock and I would be happy to take it off their hands. I got 30-40lbs for free before they realized that they could sell it instead. It sells around me for $2-$3.50/lb. Online sources may have some as well.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkornstarx2
so youve just got to buy the rock and break it up yourself? Also.....should the filter and powerhead be running at the same time ALL the time? or should the filter be turned off unless your doing a water change or something?
I leave my filter and powerheads on all the time, except that I have the powerheads plugged into a seperate powerstrip, then I turn off that powerstrip so that the powerheads are off while feeding, it helps keep the food in one place.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can make your own rubble by smashing your LR with a hammer (make sure you ware eye protection). I turn off all filters/powerheads at water change time and shut off the return pump from my sump at tank feeding time.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
You can make your own rubble by smashing your LR with a hammer (make sure you ware eye protection). I turn off all filters/powerheads at water change time and shut off the return pump from my sump at tank feeding time.
Lando, is that "ware" or "wear" eye protection? (heehee!)

Tags
nano, nano-reef, reef, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com