Nano-reef setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkornstarx2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am currently setting up a 10 gallon nano-reef tank. I am running an Exoterra 501 external canister filter that I previously used in a turtle tank. It operates at 79gph. Will this provide sufficient filtration and water flow for the tank or should I also purchase a powerhead? Thanks for any help you can give me.

i would get a powerhead, 79gph is kinda slow or mabey add a hob filter like a aquaclear 50 since it would be cheeper than a powerhead anyway, and would give you another 200gph.

Couldn't TOO much filtration be a bad thing though? Just something I've heard, dont know if its true at all

Welcome to AquariumAdivce.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Nano tanks can be a bit tricky as far as water quality goes. That being said, they are wonderful to keep if you get into a frequent and regular maintanace schedule. For a tank this small, especially a reef, I suggest using about 20lbs of good quailty LR as your primary source of filtration. You can use the canister or a HOB for mechanical water polishing and running chemical filtration such as GAC.

I have a JBJ 12gal nanocube deluxe. I ended up adding a second powerhead simply to create a more chaotic current, rather then add flow. 80gph on a 10gal tank is not that much. I would consider adding another powerhead.

Like Lando said you will def need a 2nd powerhead. I found in my 12 gallon DX that the stock filtration was way-way underpowered and added a 2nd powerhead to help pick up the slack. As for what Lando said about live rock filtration, that is spot on and great advice. I would recommend the same. If I were you I would strip your canister of any and all media and use only live rock rubble.

[If I were you I would strip your canister of any and all media and use only live rock rubble.]

You could explain this please....you mean just have an empty filter or what....???

Basically, remove all of the media from the canister filter and fill it up with LR rubble (small chunks of LR). It is a much better filter media.

Lando, in the case of live rock rubble in the cannister filter, is there no mechanical filtration for particulate matter? I still use the old filter floss in there.

You can certainly add some floss as mechanical filtration. It is very important to change it often.

It would be so nice to find a place that has a bunch of live rock that "accidently" go all broken up so they couldn't sell it as live rock, that would price it at, like $.99 a pound!

so youve just got to buy the rock and break it up yourself? Also.....should the filter and powerhead be running at the same time ALL the time? or should the filter be turned off unless your doing a water change or something?

It would be so nice to find a place that has a bunch of live rock that "accidently" go all broken up so they couldn't sell it as live rock, that would price it at, like $.99 a pound!
Check with your LFS. There are typically rubble pieces in the bottom of the boxes LR is shipped in. I asked mine to just throw it in the curing tubes and ucre it along with the rock and I would be happy to take it off their hands. I got 30-40lbs for free before they realized that they could sell it instead. It sells around me for $2-$3.50/lb. Online sources may have some as well.

xkornstarx2 said:
so youve just got to buy the rock and break it up yourself? Also.....should the filter and powerhead be running at the same time ALL the time? or should the filter be turned off unless your doing a water change or something?

I leave my filter and powerheads on all the time, except that I have the powerheads plugged into a seperate powerstrip, then I turn off that powerstrip so that the powerheads are off while feeding, it helps keep the food in one place.

You can make your own rubble by smashing your LR with a hammer (make sure you ware eye protection). I turn off all filters/powerheads at water change time and shut off the return pump from my sump at tank feeding time.

lando said:
You can make your own rubble by smashing your LR with a hammer (make sure you ware eye protection). I turn off all filters/powerheads at water change time and shut off the return pump from my sump at tank feeding time.

Lando, is that "ware" or "wear" eye protection? (heehee!)

Back
Top Bottom