Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha no problem we were all beginners at one point! I'll list some of my favorites.

Skunk cleaner shrimp probably have the most personality out of all the shrimp.
Blood shrimp are like skunks but a lot more shy.
Coral banded get large and aggressive. However there are gold and blue coral bandeds who don't get large and aren't aggressive but hide a lot more.
Sexy shrimp are tiny and wiggle but do better in established reef tanks in my experience.
Peppermint shrimp are small reddish shrimp that are colonial but can become nuisances due to tendencies to pick at coral.

Um there's harlequin shrimp but they only eat starfish so I don't reccomend them at all.
I believe those are most of the common shrimp you will find in the hobby

I've had blood and cleaner, the cleaner are much more personal truth be told. Mine likes to climb on my hand. The blood is really shy

. And bribo12 is right, we where all beginners at one point. It's great to ask questions instead of going in without any information

I thought peppermints were fresh! Would a few of those work instead of sexy shrimp? Would a few peppermints destroy my tank?

I found zoo med three pack hermit crab growth shells. They are not painted though. Would two packs of these be enough? I also found T-Rex island Fruit and flower crab food. Would this be fine for the hermits and the Pom Pom crab? I am still thinking about the Pom Pom. There is an Imagitarium Ramp bowl for hermit crabs would that work underwater?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, that's all for land hermits. The hermits you need don't need any of that stuff, reef cleaners.com sells the shells you need and hermits are scanvergers. Basic fish food meant for saltwater is fine

I have betta and goldfish food. The betta food has brine shrimp, but it floats I do have frog sinking pellets

Nope, that stuff has a lot of silicates and stuff. You'll have to get a small if reef instant or something similar

Do saltwater shrimp and crabs also eat algae wafers? Do i need to break it so the shrimp and hermits won't fight?

I have algae, won't the hermits and shrimp eat that?

That money should be spent on a larger tank even if its a 10 gal, 15 gal is better.

If I have algae, won't the hermits and shrimp eat that?

Something I found useful is if the library has something like a reef-keeping book. I got one on '101 - reef keeping for dummies' (I believe it's a series on different topics) one time when freshwater books were all taken out. I thought it would be simple to get through but ended up borrowing it again. It only covered what seemed the basics but could be worth a look.

That money should be spent on a larger tank even if its a 10 gal, 15 gal is better.

We have no more room for a larger tank since we are getting a 55 gallon. I wish I could do a ten, but this is the only tank.

I have algae, won't the hermits and shrimp eat that?

if you have algae you should first find your source . feeding freshwater foods all high in phosphates don't help your case,

to solve the problem first feed with the proper foods never overfeed with a tank of that size it can be easily done.

yes hermits and shrimp can help with algae but that don't solve your issue
the only way to correct the issue is to find the source than resolve it from there

large water change will help with the problem along with ease up on feedings
meaning only feed what they can consume in a min, leaving left overs is what starts all the problems to begin with .

since that tank is so small I would suggest frequent water-changes as small tanks of that size don't give room for any parameter fluctuations

I was browsing lights on amazon today, and don't know a good light that will work. They were all 70 dollar, and were for 90 gallon tanks. Does anybody know of a good light that will work? I found a heater and a filter that kept the tank around 80 degrees. Is that too hot?

if your only looking to keep softies like zoa's something on the line of this would work on a small tank this light is a wave point they have 1/2 blue and 1/2 white units also
61yqjGReguL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Oops sorry! But thanks! What are some of the soft corals I could do that are colorful

in a tank of that size your basically limited due to size most corals will out grow that tank
you could prob do some mushrooms check live aquara they have some small corals that may work in your tank

Back
Top Bottom