Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Floop123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, as you may know, I don't have good ideas for a 1.5 gallon tank. I don't like freshwater planted tanks much, so I was wondering what corals I should do. I've heard different things about gobies in nano reefs, so I would like some information about the tank size. I have the tetra 1.5 gallon glofish tank lighting, and I don't want to change that. I really like anemones, so if there were something I could do with that. Are there saltwater shrimp that would work? Or a hermit crab? Right now it is a freshwater tank. Would I need to change the sand?

Thanks,

Floop123

Hello, as you may know, I don't have good ideas for a 1.5 gallon tank. I don't like freshwater planted tanks much, so I was wondering what corals I should do. I've heard different things about gobies in nano reefs, so I would like some information about the tank size. I have the tetra 1.5 gallon glofish tank lighting, and I don't want to change that. I really like anemones, so if there were something I could do with that. Are there saltwater shrimp that would work? Or a hermit crab? Right now it is a freshwater tank. Would I need to change the sand?

Thanks,

Floop123

Before you dip into the salty side, research research research. No anemones for a tank that small, or fish either. If you want coral your gonna have to do new lighting. Personally, I would stock with a handful of sexy shrimp (I promise you that it's a real thing) and maybe a Pom Pom crab. You could do a few hermits but that's it since the tank is so small. Even cleaner shrimp will be to big for it.

If I was gonna do a nano reef (and I have, mine was 10g) I wouldn't go less then five gallons

What kind of lighting would I need? I want to do the lowest price possible since I am on a budget.

I did a par 38 led 54 watt? bulb full spectrum (I think, it's been a while) And it worked really well. I've reached my picture quota here so I can't post pics of it.

And I understand the budget think, I think I started mine for under a 100$

Thanks so much for helping! So, would this stocking be okay?

1 Pom Pom crab
2 hermit crabs
4 sexy shrimp

Are scarlet skunk cleaners freshwater or saltwater?

Sounds solid, and they are salt but they get to be a decent size. I think mine is the length of my index finger right now, not counting the whiskers. Great animal though, fantastic personality

And if your gonna do corals, look at zoas. Great beginner coral, lots of colors and they grow pretty fast, and you can make a nice little garden out of them.

How much are they? And what substrate should I use? Would National Geographic sand used in a freshwater tank work? It is also mixed with glofish gravel. What is live rock? Should I use it?

Zoas prices range from 10-to hundreds of dollars depending what you want, I usually spend 15$. You'll have to get new sand, after you use sand all kind of nasty stuff gets in it, not to meantion it might has scilliate which would cause all kind of algae trouble, and no one wants that. As for live rock, you don't need it. Dry rock works fine.

https://www.chewy.com/glofish-aquar...VmIizCh0xrQjxEAQYASABEgKX7PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this the tank your talking about?

Yep. Is live rock a sort of substrate? What should I do for my substrate

Nope, live is a special rock that comes from reefs and is already cultured, or has Baterica on it, you can also get some really cool hitch hikers, but you can also get some really bad ones. Personally, if your near a store, I would go pick up a pound or two of dry base rock. It'll become live over time and much safer.

As for substrate I would go but a 10 pound bag of sand like this https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...MIwNabvPfZ1QIV04-zCh2FWQlrEAQYBSABEgLn5fD_BwE

For your sand bed. You won't use it all but it's the best bet.

And since that's your tank, you'll have to get a new filter too.

This is exact same one I had on my nano and I recommend it for all nanos http://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...MIuafRifjZ1QIVRSSBCh1IAAMXEAQYAiABEgKDevD_BwE

You prob have to mod it though, restrict the flow but getting this one will keep you from getting a power head

Also I would remove the lid completely off the 1.5 as I've had that tank before and plastic is horrible for gas exchange.

I would go open top with a gooseneck fixture light that you can clamp to something a bit more heavy duty then the tank

A 1.5 gallon tank wouldn't be able to support any fish whatsoever, but that amount of inverts will most likely come into issues as well. I would hold off until you can get a larger tank.

Also I would remove the lid completely off the 1.5 as I've had that tank before and plastic is horrible for gas exchange.

I would go open top with a gooseneck fixture light that you can clamp to something a bit more heavy duty then the tank
What should I do for a lid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, def yes. You've got to cycle for a month at least. I've done al my cycleing by throwing a bad of raw shrimp into the tank and letting it decay. This creates a ammonia source an allows the bacteria to feed on something

What do I feed the crabs and shrimp? Do the crabs need new shells?

Yup, it they'll kill each other and any snails trying to get new ones.
As what to feed, I fed mine anuything, flakes, pellets, frozen, homemade, algae waffers very now and then. Very hungry creatures

Back
Top Bottom