Nano tank good for beginner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
To start off I have never owned a salt water tank. I do have a 40 gallon high tech fresh water though. I am looking into getting another tank, and I found a Bio cube at my lfs (it is 250$) would this be a good first salt water tank? I would have lots of coral and maybe 1 or 2 fish

From what I've heard BioCubes are great tanks for beginners. Sometimes you have to do a couple of mods with the parts, but they're fairly user-friendly, and the lights are sufficient from what I've heard for a variety (though not all) corals. A lot of beginners on here have had luck with BioCubes.

Rosenweiss said:
From what I've heard BioCubes are great tanks for beginners. Sometimes you have to do a couple of mods with the parts, but they're fairly user-friendly, and the lights are sufficient from what I've heard for a variety (though not all) corals. A lot of beginners on here have had luck with BioCubes.

Are the modifications necessary? I don't have tuns of money to put into this tank. I was planning on buying the Biocube a heater and maybe a Skimmer. Would this be a good start? I don't want to have the same problem as I did with my 40 gallon, buy cheap stuff the first time then have to replace it later. I want a fairly cheap high grade tank (that I don't have to upgrade down the road). Am I looking at the wrong kind of tank?

None of the mods are necissary. My biocube is 100% stock and I love it.

I think they're an excellent beginner tank.

Flake said:
None of the mods are necissary. My biocube is 100% stock and I love it.

I think they're an excellent beginner tank.

Could you post a picture? Is it the 14 gallon?

Edit: could I do something like this 14 Gallon Biocube 2 in the 14 gallon biocube if I left it stock?

Last edited:
I also have a pretty stock biocube 29g and i really like it. All self contained and looks awesome too!

The stock lights are good enough for alot of corals except the most demanding and i wouldn't put an anenome in it but otherwise it's a great tank. :)

The only mod I made was to take out the bio balls and added a filter media basket in it's place.

Do you think I will be unhappy with a 14 gallon and that I should get a 29? Is that big white thing in the middle of that tank I linked an aniomy (or however you spell it lol)

A 29 gallon would definitely expand your stocking possibilities, so I'd go with that, but that's just what I would do if I got one.

On Amazon they have the 29 gallon for 250$ (that is what the 14 gallon costs at my lfs) do I trust it to be shipped? I just barely sent a broken tank back. (It was broken on arrival). I was reading some reviews and some people ether really like it or really hate it. Are the people that hate it doing something wrong or is this a hit and miss kind of thing (some tanks good some not)?

I can see where it would be inconvenient. The curved edges can be really hard to get coralline off it. But I find it's worth the trouble. I like the all in one, I also love the fact that it's contained. I have almost no water loss.

How much could I expect a 29 gallon to cost me a month? Once again I know nothing about SW ;)

I ordered my cube online with free shipping and it was packed really really well. i got mine at petsolutions.com. You also get a $30 fish credit if you buy it. ;-)

carey said:
I ordered my cube online with free shipping and it was packed really really well. i got mine at petsolutions.com. You also get a $30 fish credit if you buy it. ;-)

Did you just order it through Amazon from petsolutions? The fluval Flora I got in the mail (the one that was broken) was very very poorly packed. How often and how much water would I have to change?

http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...ums/oceanic-bio-cubes/prodOceanicBioCube.html
If I buy the 29 in this link, then I could have a successful reef tank without any modifications? I need to make sure I can afford this (I am saving for college).
Tell me if this is incorrect and if I miss anything:
20$ a month for salt
6$ a month for RO water
260$ for the tank (one time payment)
30$ a month to add/ replace coral
3$ a month for fish food
60$ every year for new lights
2$ a month for coral ferts

Did I miss anything?

Edit: how much will live rock cost? And the sand?

Last edited:
That list looks about right.With all that you can keep fish and a good variety of corals. :)

A refractometer to read salinty is only like $30 and you'll need an API test kit too, don't forget! lol

oops didn't see the rock question.

You could have like 35lbs of base rock at $2 a lb or less and maybe 5-10lbs of live rock from a lfs for say $6 a lb. No need to get all live rock at such a $$ amount

carey said:
oops didn't see the rock question.

You could have like 35lbs of base rock at $2 a lb or less and maybe 5-10lbs of live rock from a lfs for say $6 a lb. No need to get all live rock at such a $$ amount

Thanks for your help, I might be able to afford this! :)

Back
Top Bottom