Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumlad View Post
Thanks so much I appreciate the help. Out of curiosity what happens when a nem gets stuck in a power head?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
the best way to describe it is think about a blender . they get chopped up and pollute the water

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yikes. That would nuke a tank. I'm starting with live rock and sand. Don't worry I will fully cycle the tank before fish. When I went to my local pet shop to get some supplies (I go there because I'm only 13 years old and don't have excess cash to spend at my lfs as they over price all dry goods) and I got a 45 lb bucket of salt for $16 on clearance. Yay me!!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #13
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

sounds like you got lucky on salt I usually get mine between 45/60 depending where I get it . don't over burden yourself just be sure you can afford to keep the tank running ,
saltwater is a expensive hobby. this is something you should read ,
it may give you a better understanding of costs . you need to be aware of what your committing too .
Responsibilities of a Saltwater Aquarium Owner
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've priced everything out and it only came up to around $250. This includes the all in one tank for $100 the salt, sand, food, hydrometer, rock and live stock I also have a rodi unit. I also have a heater and thermometer. Is there anything else I should know before getting into the hobby? I've mastered fresh water and would like to try salt.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

And for the small tank there isn't much reoccurring cost. I have salt for a life time free rodi water and food is cheap. I'll probably do fish only and maybe one shrimp.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also I'm going to use live sand and a bottle of dr tims nitrifying bacteria. Live rock is a lot more expensive. Would it be OK to use dry rock that will become live over time?

Old 07-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Keep in mind that you'll only be able to keep one very small fish, a clown goby would be a great choice or maybe one of the small shrimp gobies and a pistol shrimp. Yes dry rock is fine, and I'd also skip the live sand as its really just wet. Just get an aragonite based sand. I'd also skip the dr tims because products like that are a waste of money and you'll still need an ammonia source to cycle the tank

Old 07-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well I already bought those things. Oops. Anyway I'm going to cycle the tank using a bit of fish food

Old 07-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Don't use fish food because this will add phosphate into the system and combine with high nitrate produced by the cycle and your new tank will turn into an algae nightmare. Use pure ammonia or a raw cocktail shrimp

Old 07-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well shoot. I almost ordered some animus from Amazon when I was ordering the other stuff. I guess I'm going to be doing a lot of algae scrapping.

Tags
nano, nano tank, noob, question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com