Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nano tank noob questions

So as I've mentioned in a noob when it comes to saltwater. I'm setting up a fluval evo tank and want to add 2 clownfish a cleaner shimp and maybe an anemone. I'm not looking to spend lots of money on coral.

Questions
What anemone can I have in the tank with the shrimp and clowns?

How do I keep/care for an anemone? Do they need feeding? If so how/ what do I feed it?

Will the anemone be ok with out light for a few days if I'm not home to turn it on?

How do I handle an anemone?

Should I add the shrimp first after cycling the tank or last? Does it matter?

Should I get both clowns at the same time or one at a time?

if you think I need to know anything else about nano reef tanks please let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

First things first, the tank is way to small for a pair of clowns, you'll want something in the 20 gallon range. And as for nems, they require a mature tank (year +) and very strong lighting ( the included light with the Evo kit will not be strong enough).

Old 07-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The evo has a 11000 k. That's not good enough?

Old 07-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

11000 k just means that it's on the very white end of the lighting spectrum, k or kelvin is a measure of color temperature (how white or blue) not intensity. The thing that tells me it's not strong enough for much more than soft corrals is that it uses almost 40leds that total only 10 watts. Quality units use individual LEDs that are rated at 3 watts each. So no the light is no where near strong enough for an anemone

Old 07-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Plus the tank isn't big enough for a nem. They need stable tanks, my rose bubble tip in my 40 is probably 6" in diameter

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. What about my other questions above? I will now consider other tanks but in the mean time I need the other questions answered. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumlad View Post
So as I've mentioned in a noob when it comes to saltwater. I'm setting up a fluval evo tank and want to add 2 clownfish a cleaner shimp and maybe an anemone. I'm not looking to spend lots of money on coral.

Questions
What anemone can I have in the tank with the shrimp and clowns?

How do I keep/care for an anemone? Do they need feeding? If so how/ what do I feed it?

Will the anemone be ok with out light for a few days if I'm not home to turn it on?

How do I handle an anemone?

Should I add the shrimp first after cycling the tank or last? Does it matter?

Should I get both clowns at the same time or one at a time?

if you think I need to know anything else about nano reef tanks please let me know. Thanks

I'll answer them in order
1. Any will be fine with a cleaner shrimp.
2. They need stable mature systems with pristine water quality and strong lighting. No you don't need to feed them they are photogenic and will get all they need from the lighting.
3. Most likely no, this will stress the nem and cause it to wander and possibly get sucked into a power head nuking the whole tank. Can be solved by buying a cheap timer or most good lighting units have one built in.

4. Carefully, don't force it off of what it's attached to or you could injure it's foot. In terms of touching them most people are fine doing so, they are just very sticky when they're healthy so it can be a pain. Some people are allergic ( I'm pretty sure one of the members here is) so you may want to consider gloves.
5. Shrimp tend to be more sensitive than most other inverts so I'd wait a couple months on them.
6. I generally like to add my clowns as a pair that are the same size, but in a freshly cycled tank that's probably a bad idea since it may cause a spike in ammonia. So go one at a time and just be sure that the second one you get is smaller than the first.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks so much I appreciate the help. Out of curiosity what happens when a nem gets stuck in a power head?

Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There is no need to be concerned about stock just yet you haven't even started your cycle ,
you should look into the nitrogen cycle and learn about that first .
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
you have plenty of time once your cycle begins to think about your first fish ,
everything in saltwater is best done slowly in steps , since the tank is new you need to give the tank time to build bb (beneficial bacteria) between fish ,
live aquara can help you find the right fish for your tank . with that small of a tank you need to understand you wont be able to have many fish . you'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 small fish
Old 07-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumlad View Post
Thanks so much I appreciate the help. Out of curiosity what happens when a nem gets stuck in a power head?

Think fruit in a blender

Tags
nano, nano tank, noob, question, questions, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com