Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nano Tank Pictures at 10 weeks!

Hi Everyone!

I promised a few pictures so here are some with an update on my Nano Tank which was started about 10 weeks ago. So far, so good. My water parameters all seem to be holding steady, my fish and coral all seem to be healthy and it has been a real joy to have this tank in my office. I must say that I probably stare at the tank more than I watch T.V.! Sorry about the quality of the pics, these are all hand held in a dark room.

I have the 12 gal JBJ Nano DX. I threw out the stock filter media (Sponges, bio balls, and ceramic rings) and replaced it with a rack using filter floss, chem pure and purigen in the first chamber, keeping activated charcoal in the second. I added a Hydor Kryola Nano power head to increase water flow. I have noticed in the last few weeks that hard pinkish spots are showing up on the back panel and on some of the live rock. It appears to be coraline algae and it is also visible on the powerhead.

I have a wide variety in my clean up crew which seems to do a great job keeping my reef clean. The CUC includes a variety of crabs including 2 emeralds, and three hermits. I have a fire shrimp which just molted, and a variety of snails including two nassarius, two turbo, and a couple of others that I can't recall their names. My fish include a Percula, a Watchman Goby and a Purple Fire Fish. As you can see in the pictures I have quite a variety of soft coral pieces that all seem to be doing well.

I test the water frequently and have been very consistent with weekly water changes. I try not to disturb the sand bed if at all possible. I have noticed that in the back right corner there has been some red? algae growth on a small area of the sand, so I remove that with the water changes. I move the power head to see if I can get better circulation to that part of the tank and hopefully it might help.

Something new that I have noticed is the addition of several small white ant looking creatures crawling all over my coral. I have no idea what they are, so any help would be appreciated. I would try to take a picture, but they are tiny.

Thanks for looking, for all of the great advice and support I have received in my new adventure. It is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	55962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	55963  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	55964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	55965  

Old 10-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Photos look awesome I could only imagine what your tank would look like if it was bigger.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Copepods maybe?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know what means
Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKFPhoto View Post

Something new that I have noticed is the addition of several small white ant looking creatures crawling all over my coral. I have no idea what they are, so any help would be appreciated. I would try to take a picture, but they are tiny.

Mike
I would agree with the copepods. I have them too - both white and green little ant-like bugs. I'm pretty sure they're ok. Nice tank

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nano, nano tank, pictures, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com