Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

nano tanks... whats your opinion on this one?

i was browsing around ebay and came across this tank. i was goign to use a old filter and heater then just buy lights and a powerhead and the tank but i think it would be about the same price to go with this. i am a freshwater guy but i really want to get into salt. i know that u should go bigger but this is all i have room for and i dont mine doing the weekly water changes as i am used to it with all my planted freshwater. would i need a protien skimmer for this? is the powerhead powerful enough? i was gonna do around 15 pounds of liverock and maybe a few soft corals. is the lighting enough? i was thinking a clown fish and maybe some tpe of shrimp for livestock. anything else i am missing? thanks in advance
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nano-Tank-by-Cube...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ricky@3rdshift
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THAT TANK. lOOKS LIKE A jbj TO ME, BUT i FOUND IT FOR 89.00 ON EBAY.COM FROM THE SAME GUY.

sorry for the caps.

55 gallon saltwater madness!!!
Work at Petco, , and no I am not responsible for their fish.
Ricky@3rdshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i just found it for 89.99 aswell. what do you think about the equipment that it comes with? is it anygood for setting up a tank with liverock and corals? on the bottom is the same link but for 89.99
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nano-Tank-by-Cube...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
LOOKS GOOD.

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

26 watts of lighting is not very much, you could possibly house some low light corals such as shrooms, but definitely not any LPS. I would look into the JBJ Nanocube Deluxe. It is a 12 gallon tank with 48watts of PC lighting for about $20-$30 more!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I agree the JBL 12G Deluxe NanoCube is slightly better then this unit but the price is twice as much.

The JBJ has two 24W bulbs which works out to 4 wpg or enough for most medium light corals while the ebay unit for $99 has two 18W (36W total) bulbs which works out to 3.6 wpg or about the same.

The “Cube Master” is pretty new to the market and doesn’t have the proven track record that JBJ tanks have but from the equipment list and the price savings it looks like they are trying to become the leader.

I would have to say that this model seems worth it the $$$. Of course if money isn’t an issue I’d get the JBJ 24G Nano Cube Deluxe for around $290.00
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

mr funktastic

If you use:
Code:
URL text
you can avoid the long url links

BBCode Guide
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

May I chime in? 2 weeks ago my local reef club made an all day shopping trip to the LFS's in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We hit about 8 stores. All of the stores had boxes and boxes of the JBJ nano cubes in stock. They must be selling like crazy or all these stores wouldn't have had them in stock.

I think they are very cool and will probably get one myself.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Jermz79, I did find this 12G JBJ Nano Cube for $134 so I see what you are referring too now. It does boast 48W or 4 wpg and for the little bit of extra it is probably worth it since they have a great reputation.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

well in the description it says that the glass is thicker then the nanocube tanks and the powerhead will give me an 11 times turnover of the water per hour which is pretty **** good. money is an issue for me that is why i like this tank but another thing is the shipping costs. it is 87 dollars shipping!!! but i have never seen these tanks locally so i cant just go pick one up. right now i have a penguine 125 biowheel filter and a decent heater. i can make lights no problem as i have done it many times for my feshwater planted tanks. but i would need to buy a tanks and then i would need a powerhead and possible a nano skimmer so i thought this route would actually be cheaper. living in canada really kills u for ordering online casue of shipping costs. i am glad that so many people chimed in for this. since it is such a decent price i am seriously considering ordering it. or would the other route be cheaper for me? just buying a tank and powerhead then building lights? thanks for the tip on how to post links tecwzrd i will have to give it a try next time.

Tags
nano, nano tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com