Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Natural light effectiveness?

I'm just getting started building my 29gal, my first saltwater tank. I'm going to have it on a shelf next to a NW facing window that does have UV inhibiting screens on it. If possible Id like to use as little power as possible, so how effective would the natural sunlight be for corals and fish. Can I get by using lights only minimally, or best to just run them all the time.

Pittenger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
It won't be very effective for corals at all. Fish in the other really don't live off light to survive so they wod be fine

36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A 29 gallon isn't going to take much power to light, so I wouldn't worry much about the electric bill, unless of course you use something inefficient. A decent LED unit will work fine and not speed up the meter much.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
The only way natural sunlight is used effectively in home tanks is with the installation of light pipes that gather, concentrate and direct the light to a specific spot.

Indirect sunlight from a window isn't enough for corals to thrive, but algae will love it.

Direct sunlight can work, but you have to install a chiller to protect against the tank getting too hot and it may limit the type of corals you can keep.
PB_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Hope you like algae
Reefer James is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com