Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There is also a chance of picking up parasites in the NSW. I thought I read once that the water had to be in the dark for awhile to get rid of these parasites.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its kept in a solid black 200g holding tank.

Old 05-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I live on the North Carolina coast and was using the universities filtered nsw. I got huge alge blooms and a lot of coraline die off. Everyone that I have talked to since has had more or less the same results. If I were you I would def. spend the money and avoid the future headaches! If you are running a reef tank than you really want to stay away but if you are running a fowlr you may be little better off but like i said i would stay away if i were you!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I havent had any problems at all.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

A UV filter would kill the parasites wouldn't it? Maybe areate the water and runn it through a UV before you add it to the tank?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am using filtered natural seawater in my 29g at the moment because of convenience, don't have to drive to get RO/DI water or mix salt etc.. I am also starting to notice a die off of coraline algea after 3 weeks for what its worth. Keep in mind that the salinity of natural seawater is usually rather high, around 1.028 or 1.027, although being natural I doubt this is much of a problem just out of the normal aquarium range.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscrx
I was told you could use NSW but not from close to shore. Five miles out or something if I remember.
You are absolutely correct. Nobody gets NSW from the shoreline. Almost all NSW is collected from after the shelf break, which varies, but is typically at least a mile offshore.

If NSW is what you're trying to replicate with syn. salt, then why would it be worse? I've heard nothing but good things about the benefits of NSW, and if it wasn't so heavy to lug around, I'd buy it myself. All the LFS around me use NSW. Sure, I've also heard about a few small inconsistancies with NSW, but you can't beat it. It's natural & the best. It's where the fish was living when you took it out of the wild.....
Old 05-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The LFS said its from off catalina ( southern cal ) and they use UV sterilizers and activated charcol on it.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
The LFS said its from off catalina ( southern cal ) and they use UV sterilizers and activated charcol on it.
Window to the Sea? Len's great. Yup, and almost all LFS around us get thiers from Catalina. Although Jeffs Exotic Fish gets theirs trucked in from San Diego.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nah its this place right down the street from me. Where is Window to the Sea? Is Jeff's in Yorba Linda area? I think I have seen it.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com