Near Devastation!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have search everywhere in this small town for that purgin stuff and i cant find it. so i may have to order it offline and wait it out. i am mixing my water tonight and add it tomorrow. then every 3 days there after.

should i consider adding a few snails or hermits? i already have a few in there but, i think most of them died. i have a major bubble alage problem so i hear crabs are the way to go for that problem.

i also want to get an opinion on if it would be wise to scrub my current LR in my tank. i was thinking of buying another rubermaid 20g but then i got to thinking. my tank is already in a horrible state as of now. what if i just got a cheap HOB filter and scrubed my LR in my tank. there i dont need to worrie about my shrooms and polyps going though anymore stress switching back and forth. the HOB would clean any drifing hairalage and i could also use it for the GAC too.

any opinions or should i just clean it the good old fashion way?

If your leather does not respond in a few days after the PWCs you may want to frag it. I had to do that to mine after my tank overheated while I was out of country last year. They are very easy to frag. You just cut around the crown and then cut that into section. Mount each section to a piece of rock and it should attach in a few days. I now have have a dozen smaller frags growing in my tank. Two of them are getting large.

how do you attach the frags to rocks? i tryed rubber bands befor but the frag turned black and rotted away. didnt have any luck that way.

You can use super glue in most cases to attach frags, depending on what you are attaching. For a leather it should work.

Have you checked the new petsmart in Hagerstown for anything? The petsmart here in Frederick has Purigen.

Good luck. :)

Super glue gel will work. You need to take the leather out fo the tank and do the fragging in a large bowl. You should pat dry the frag and rock before glueing. I used a toothpick through the frag which I rubber banded to a rock and the super glue method. Both were equally effective. I did have to go back and clip the toothpick once the leather frag attached.

superglue gel?
hmm, i may try that. my leathers stalk is turning black. i need to frag it asap! i think i may cutt off the whole crown and then cutt the crown into 4 and have 4 large frags. i will keep 2 and give away the others. any one close to me want them let me know i send them to ya or when we go to the fish store i bring it along with me. either way is fine. just dont want to ship it long distance.

yea ii been to the all the petsmarts around. they were out today. they said check back in a week. :)

i am mixing my water now. i will do the first PWC in the morning.

Good luck.

I say definitley frag asap (if you haven't already).

If you haven't, make sure you use clean strokes with a sharp blade and avoid a sawing motion. Don't be afraid of hurting the coral, they are pretty resilient when it comes to fragging. Most important thing is make sure you let them set up and chill out for a while outside of your tank ( like in a bucket with some flow) so they can slough off any stuff and not release any defensive chemicals into your tank.

Sorry for not responding sooner...Purigen is like GAC, but it's a resin that supposedly absorbs more of the bad stuff and wont leach it back out when all used up. And, you can recharge it by soaking it in a bleach solution, then in water with a dechlorinator.

I get mine from the good Doctors:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0923014000000

CD-21412 100 ml. w/ mesh bag 3-pk $18.79

I just put one bag in a high flow area of the filter. I replace with a fresh one monthly. I toss em' Cant be bothered with the whole recharging thing.
I also use 1 unit of Chemi-Pure Elite that I replace bi-monthly. Pretty much the same as purigen with some added benefits (supposedly).

Do they do anything besides drain my wallet? ...I don't know, I just know my critters are healthy and water is in good shape.

HTH

ok guys i scrubed my rocks with a hard bristle brush. i took every out and cleaned the tank good. even stired up the sand and cleaned that aswell. now i have so much dust its covering everything. my tanks still very cloudy.

any ideas? i have GAC running as well. i dont have my protin skimmer on. just a maxi jet 900 and heater. i dont have a HOB or filter. just 30lbs of LR.

LOL something tells me i should not have stired up my sand bed. LOL i hope i dont get another cycle again. when i scrubed my LR i took out each one and scrubed it. then placed it on a rubbermaid lid. i didnt want to put them back in the tank till i got all the junk out. then when i was done i put them all back in. i know some of the bac. might have died but it needed to be done. i didnt have the resorces to do it like it needed to be done.

Never stir up your sand bed. You release all kind of nasties into the water column.
Start checking for an ammo spike to see if a mini cycle has started. You'll need to preapare for some pwc's, like 10-20 daily if that happens.

Yeah. Keep mixed water ready for a while.

I'm optimistic. Hopefully that bottom stirred up stuff ain't that bad. How old is the tank again?

I'd prolly turn that skimmer on now too.

my tanks about a year old this coming up april. i can go get some more pre made water from the petco. i hate mixing water i just like to buy the 5g boxes at the store. i airate it for about 24 hrs then dump it in. much less of a problem. LOL.. my fish seem to be doing well i got a HOB filter today and have that running with alot of floss in it to remove any thing i happen to miss. all my rocks are white so i am blasting them with a turkey baster to try to get as much off as possible. temps great, fish are not showing any signs of stress so i take that as a good thing. i just wonder how my shrooms are going to come out of this.. i scrubed my rocks pretty good. i hope they live. as well as my polyps.

i am seeing a very mi-nute raise in ammo. and that could be cuase its kinda dark in my room. my tank feels different, but i think my fish are still kinda stressed over the whole major cleaning process. i do think i got some die off on my LR. i had to lay them out in the air for about 20-30 mins befor i had everything cleaned so i may have lost some. i am watching and testing every day when i get home from work for any changes in water spec's. i have a 5g mix rdy if anything should happen. my torch coral looks a little stressed but i think it also is do to the cleaning. my SG. is a little high about 1.028 but i am not sure if thats something to worry about now. they been through so much these past few months. i will level it out with my next water change or when i top off with fresh. i still have my powerheads running all over the place trying to get up all the gunk off the bottom and get it into my HOB filter i just got. then i am going to rearange my LR. mightadd some hermits or snails. i have horrible luck with inverts. they like to kill them selfs in my tank. then they rot and de'kay my water. i only have like 3 hermits and maybe 4 snails in my tank now. needless to say get get plenty to eat. LOL

Back
Top Bottom