Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nearly the end of my 1st week and.......

well my 1st week as a marine tank keeper is nearly complete, sicne the tanks move everything seems in good order.

i had an aiptsa (sp) break out but i got some of that "joe's juice" and it seems to be killing them off.

i have a few questions.

1 - when should my 1st water change be? and should i vac it? it'sa crushed coral substrate, i've had a fresh lot of 60L saltwater ready to go in.

2 - lighting, when i bought the tank 2nd hand it cam with this 40W marine blue tube, now i want rid of that and get a clear, POWER-GLO tube, how will this effect the tank biology? if at all

3 when can i add anaema for my clownfish? after the aipsta are eliminated? or until i have better lighting?

i hear people talk abotu how important good lighting is, would a power-glo tube be sufficent for an anaema? or do i have to get one of those expensive metal halide kits before adding anema and coral...

thanks guys!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. either this weekend, or next weekend. I don't like going more than 2 weeks without a w/c. Since you have CC, you can vac it a little, but not too deeply. Just get the detris.

2. not familiar with power-glo's. its probably fine though.
however
3. one 40w tube isn't enough for an anemone, not even a BTA. And certainly not until the tank has been up for at least 6 months., preferably 9 months.

We'll need to know more about the size of the tank (please give dimensions) before we can say what the best lighting choice would be.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry about that

it's a 55G 4ft long tank. 18" high 14 wide

maybe i'll just get a powerglo until the 9months is up then do an monster upgrade to a halade setup..
Old 08-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
maybe i'll just get a powerglo until the 9months is up then do an monster upgrade to a halade setup..
Now your talking!

If your going to do coral then you will need the lights for them as well. You can add some easy coral when your tank is established which will be alot sooner than 9 months.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

hmm yes, i better start saving my pennies then!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com