Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan5359 View Post
Whoops forgot I put this in the FW getting started section. (hey rook think you can move it to the SW getting started now?)
Done

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #12

Im looking to get a RO/DI off eBay. Some time in the summer. (a 60$ dollar one I saw Carey got)

In the near future I want to definitely setup a nice 5 gallon planted tank. And then I'm done with tanks for a while.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Done
Thanks rook.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got a new 24 gallon 2x36 watt 50/50 10000k JBJ nano with stand, pump, moonlights for 210 dollars. Added 1 50/50 LED strip and an acitinic LED strip for more light/blues. As of now I've even been able to support SPS with this, though the main focus is on palythoas/zoas. It comes with bioballs and carbon, but I got rid of them and added fluval carbon and phosban, and also just added about 30 lbs of live rock.

A good bang for your buck

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Sarcothelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #15

Was it used?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, it was completely brand new. I was like, :O must get this! Was thinking about the HQI 28, but it was 280 more for 4 gallons and some brighter lights.

But yep. comes with a sleek stand (DIY ofc, lol) brand new. Got it from some online special and it was free shipping. Bet you could find it again w/ a google search.

I run electrical appliances underwater and enjoy injecting things with Kalk filled syringes.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #17

I'm looking into JBJ cubes vs. Biocubes.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, softies, and LPS easily
Old 06-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not true. I added some LEDs and I'm sure that helped some, but as I said I have quite a bit under stock lights. Think about it, 2-5 watts per gallon is what most corals need, and that's 3 watts per gallon default right there. Mushrooms like less light, as do some others. I have Palys, Protopalys, Zoas, Sarcothelia, Pachyclavularia, and Montipora (at the very top of the tank, granted) with relatively little upgrades.

No mushrooms, but things like Actinodiscus prefer less light, which is why people with metal halides usually put them in shaded areas of their tank. They are 10000k lights, so they do support corals fine. You could go with the 28g HQI one for about 500 dollars, but you may need a chiller if it gets hot in your area (like it does mine).

Not all corals require intense lighting as you may have been told, just add more blues through LED strips to get a better appearance

There are beautiful corals that require no light at all, though these are challenging to keep. I hope one day to have a tank of Sclero and Dendroneptheas, IMO the most beautiful of corals though they are the most challenging.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #20

I kind of want a JBJ cube because I saw one online for 250$. With stand. Cheaper than biocubes. What type of light upgrade would I need? I want to be able to keep zoas, frogspawns, an anemone, maybe a mushroom or two, etc.

Tags
20 gallon, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com