Need a cover for my 90 gallon salt!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HustlinApples

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to get a split cover for my tank, any suggestions would be amazing IMG_1063.jpg

You can cut light defuser, which you can get at any home improvement store or bulkreefsupply.com has a really nice net cover that many other members have utilized.

I cut light diffueser for my 90. It does block a fair amount of light and throws wonky shadows. On my reef tank I used aluminum screen track and plastic netting. Looks and functions way better. You can buy the netting tops, they look slick but they're pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzepher1
How do you use the egg crate?

Egg crate is a plastic light defuser you can buy at home depot for around $15

you can cut it with a pair of sharp wire cutters sizzors just shatter the plastic

heres a pict of it on the bottom before the sand

also the top it can be done 2 ways with a glass lid the rubber hing was glued to the egg crate or with the egg crate cut out and strapped on with zip ties

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.
img_2670622_0_8e5666b8f7a78e245eb7687b84649ae3.jpg

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.
img_2670622_1_a556f1867e3a5d6a005ed6a6319a5d08.jpg

wol_error.gif
img_2670622_2_228702a9abbdca1ff7727c60d23bcfb2.jpg

This is how to cut it with out it shattering all over

wol_error.gif
img_2670622_3_3a6eb0cd7f5c6c8b07f6002139f8c630.jpg

you can also use it for dividers in your tank or coral racks when acclimating your new corals

wol_error.gif
img_2670622_4_fd38fccabd39ddb5a73eac185bbec1b8.jpg

sorry didn't have a pict of the divider that can be either silicone in or it can be cut to be a tight fit and wedged into place only thing is sometimes they come loose

If you are interested in a glass top, try a local glass/window company. They'll cut to your dimensions and you can get it in thicknesses a pre-fab top might not come in; it'll also be a fraction of the cost. I had two panels cut to top a 40 breeder and it ran me 19$ after tax! The first shop I had called only did work with commercial/industrial customers but they directed me to a shop that did residential/private work. Stick-on handles could make for easier moving but I just lift them off whenever I'm working in the tank.

If you go this route, make sure to ask them to 'swipe' the edges so they aren't sharp(y)

Back
Top Bottom