Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok thanks for all the help, so right now on my TO BUY LIST I have

Reef Octopus NWB-200 8" Internal Protein Skimmer

A 30 gallon tank to build my sump

Any suggestions on lightning? I want to have some coral eventually, I'll probably start out with LR sand and fish

Anything else I need to get this bad boy up and going?

Should I get a hang on the back filter or not?

Atchison0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright, I'm about to being my sump build following exactly as that video stated above, I have a noob question, how do I know how wide to make each chamber, and by width I mean how much distance from the LR chamber to the protein skimmer chamer ect ect

Atchison0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
It depends on the size of your skimmer... you need to have room for the skimmer, so it needs to be at least that big. The more LR you have the better filtration you have. With building the sump it is kinda up to you... as long as all the equipment fits that's all that matters.
If you have a sump you don't need a canister or a hang on the back filter.
30g is better then 20g but 60g would be even better, again there is no rule, it's just more water volume is better (no limit on that).

Sometimes life is best left to it's own devices.
If your not happy at what you're looking at, you're looking at it the wrong way.
My 320g tank build in progress watch at ---> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/320g-build-journey-experiment-128784.html
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

10 gallon, build, sw aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com