Need a more sensitive pH test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently use the pH tester that came with Tetratest's Laborett kit. I buffered my water heavily when the tank was cycling, and it never registered above 8.0. So my first question is: how accurate is this kit?

Even if this kit is dead on, I really want another one. The color card that came with the kit has colors for 7.0, 7.4, 7.7, 8.0, 8.3, 8.6, and 9.0. My tests have always seemed above 8.0, but below 8.3, so I never really know what the pH of my tank is to any accuracy. Second (and last) question: do there exist (accurate) test kits that are sensitive enough to distinguish between 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3? Or do I have to borrow or buy a pH meter?

I got tired of 'guessing' which color my sample matched, and purchase a pH pen. I love it!! It takes all the guess work out of checking the pH.

I got tired of 'guessing' which color my sample matched, and purchase a pH pen. I love it!! It takes all the guess work out of checking the pH.

Any kit that is using a color indicator is going to be open for interpretation of the results. The pH probe would be the best and most expensive solution. If you want to try another kit, Seachem's pH and alkalinity kit has a slide scale that allows you to better match the color. I've never used Salifert's pH kit, but if it is titration based like most of their other kits then it would be more accurate than most other brands.

Back
Top Bottom