Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need advice

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank but want to start a small saltwater and need any suggestion on what i will need to do to get it up and going

Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Our articles section will likely help you. Start there. Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Our articles section will likely help you. Start there. Welcome to AA!!
Where do I find that at sorry I'm on the iPhone app and trying to find my way around it
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Top of this page. Not sure if you can see it from the phone. Here...
Aquarium Advice

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What do you plan on keeping in the SW tank? You can do FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) and you won't need that much to start with. Stock lights, sand, live/base rock, and a decent filter is pretty much all you need. You can start out with this and then see if you want to do corals in the future. Once corals get involved, you'll need to upgrade lighting (can get expensive), eventually get a protein skimmer, and make sure the tank has been running steadily for a few months.

Basically I'd start with a FOWLR until you can afford and start slowly piecing a reef together. That's what I'm doing.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Check out the sticky - Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

And I like Amazon.com: The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide (0097818900875): Michael S. Paletta, Edward Kadunc, Scott W. Michael, John Goodman: Books

Great read.

Good luck on your project!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscamaro
What do you plan on keeping in the SW tank? You can do FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) and you won't need that much to start with. Stock lights, sand, live/base rock, and a decent filter is pretty much all you need. You can start out with this and then see if you want to do corals in the future. Once corals get involved, you'll need to upgrade lighting (can get expensive), eventually get a protein skimmer, and make sure the tank has been running steadily for a few months.

Basically I'd start with a FOWLR until you can afford and start slowly piecing a reef together. That's what I'm doing.
Thanks this helps alot I'm just doing a little 10 gallon to experiment cuz I already have a 55 gallon freshwater is there any fish I shouldn't put in the tank I was thinking about just doing some goby's and those mandarin fish
Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Typically in Nano tanks, I see a shrimp, a goby one really small angel, snails, hermits. You're going to be very limited as to what you keep.

I would recommend against the madarin. They only eat copepods and in a tank that small, you wouldn't be able to keep the supply sufficient. I lost mine when I had my 90 gal up and running. You need to grow them in a refugium and make sure they are plump. It'll be tough in a 10 gallon.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are doing it to experiment I would do a larger tank. The more water volume the better and more forgiving your tank will be for problems or mistakes. Smaller nano`s need much more dilligence. Not saying it cant be done but it will harder. Just my experience. BTW the mandarin cant be done in a ten gallon tank unless you get one that is trained to eat prepared food.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Mandarins need to be in a well established tank or they dont do well. They eat live copeopods living in the sand & on the rock. You still have lots to choose from, just make sure its something that remains small (fire gobies, yellow watchmab goby, mabe a dwarf angel, wrasse) you can even add a cleaner shrimp...love watching mine groom the fish. With something that small you might be able to do sea horses & a pipe fish. Nano tanks are really popular. You just have to be very vigilant about water quality....since they are so small it doesnt take much for it to have a fit and having your tank crash (no matter how big or tiny) is not a fun experience.
Good luck!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com