Need advice about a hexagon. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coogi23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello , I just got a new hexagon tank 35 gallons with stand canopy looks sweet. I have it all set up with a Rena filstar xp2 and I'm thinking about getting a bio cube protein skimmer wondering if it's needed? Currently the tank is set up sand salt in it waiting for it to finish clearing up any advice how to get the water clearer faster? I'm thinking of putting a reef in there with fish of course and corals. Any one with any advice on what corals and fish to put in there and what is compatable? Any one with a similar tank? Any advice would be awesome thanks**

Well i have a 20 gal fw hex and a 60 gal fowlr hex. We just like the way those tanks look. Honestly if i had it to do over again i would have went with a rectangle or bow front tank for my saltwater as they prefer to swim long distances laterally as opposed to the verticle nature of this tank. Its an awesome tank for fw though! The protein skimmer isnt a must but never hurts. I dont run a protein skimmer on my tank. You just need to be more attentive to your water parameters. Get a test kit for ph, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. The smaller the tank, the less forgiving it is. The biggest challenge with a hex is hiding all the equipment on the back. You'll need to be creative with your live rock so that you see the aquarium life and not, filters, powerheads, heaters, uv sterilizers, and cords! My plan for this hex is to convert to a fw discus tank and upgrade to a min 150 gallon reef tank. Just not happy with the hex for saltwater. Someone else will have to give you advice on stocking. Im not sure whats compatable with corals. Ive stayed away from corals because they sound like alot of work and need special, very expensive lighting. Good luck!

Oh yeah on the cloudy water, you just have to wait. The best way with live sand is to add about 6 inches of water, then pour in your live sand, and wait a bit, then add the remaining water by pouring onto a plate in the aquarium to avoid stirring up he sand. I learned from my mistake. I filled the whole tan with water then poured in the ls and it took about a week for it o clear up and i had to rinse the filter about every 3 hours because of all the sediment it was pulling out.

I would agree with rupp2233, I have a tank just like it for years. I had it set up as a saltwater tank about 10 years ago. It lasted 3 years but it was very difficult to maintain fish that needed the swimming room. My clowns did well though. I currently have it set up as a freshwater tank for my central american cichlids.

So hows it going? Any progress in the hex yet? Cycle started?

So I cleaned the filter an got all the cloudys out. Now I put some live rock in there and letting it do it's thing? I have some live rock that came with the aquarium but it had all these like weird living centeped things living in it not Shur Wat? I have the rock in a bucket in the sun hoping to kill those things . Will putting the rock back in ther mess up the ph? Advice is awesome.

Ther's always gonna be critters in your live rock and you actually want that stuff. Thats why its called "live rock" . Those sound like bristleworms and there's fish that eat those. Sounds like you're on your way!

Okay thanks. Im goin to put the live rock in now. So how long till i put the rock in can i add fish? And how many fish would you reccomend. Ah an chek this out man i think ull like it.

Attachments

• image-2569081449.jpg
    image-2569081449.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 75
Well you need to get that tank cycled! Either with a fish or 2 or a fishless cycle which most people prefer. And you should check out the threads and links on cycling. Once youre cycled, you can add fish! Id recommend about 3 to 5 fish. Depending on size and space requirements. Oh and that is pretty sweet! One of the top qb's in the league!

Okay. Thanks. Ill check out how to cycle it properly. And yea i got it signed last month at the celebrity golf tourney in tahoe. He only signed 4 jerseyies the whole time. Two of the 4 were me and my ladies. The craziest part about it is he came up to me.

Thats pretty awesome! Are you a packer fan or just a rodgers fan cuz he's from Chico?

I live about an hour south of GB. I was/am a huge Favre fan! It was hard to except Rodgers cuz Favre was here for so long, but he won me over. We get to games whenever we can, bu it's a tough ticket to get! We watch every single game though! And it doesn't matter if it's 40 degrees out or 20 degrees below 0, people don' give up their tickets! It's a crazy experience!

I kno i thinking about flying out there for thebears game not shure tho its a lot of money. One question should i put the live rock the aquarium came with in the tank if it has some alge on it?

Yeah the more live rock the better! If its got algae on it its probably pretty cured. Its good for the tank.

I believe it should be between 8.0 and 8.4, however your parameters dont have to be perfect all the time. What ive learned and heard from others is that consistency is most important. Its the large fluctuations that are stressful to the fish. Big swings in ph, temp, salinity, etc are hard on fish. If numbers arent perfect thats okay, just stay consistent.

Back
Top Bottom