Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember somebody wanted a pic of it but forgot who.
img_2740650_0_80b7511ca4e6e0e8c7c8b96cfe41273d.jpg

Someone please tell me about auto top offs. I'm thinking I might need one. Came home today and the return was blowing bubbles. Guess we forgot to add water last night. My fish were not happy!

Please give me pros-cons on the various types. I looked on BRS and there are a lot of options there.

What are good shrimp to add and how many should I put in my 75? Is my tank mature enough? It has been running for 5+ months now

I can't tell you much about ATOs except that I want/need one. My 90gallon can only go 2 days without me topping off so if I go away for long I could be in trouble.

As for shrimp, I added a skunk cleaner to my tank after 2 or 3 months. It did great, my guess is you will be fine. I also like the fire shrimp, I have one of each in my 29 reef. I don't think it is how many you need as much as how many you want within reason. They scavenge for food but they still have a little affect on the bio load.

Does saltwater go bad? I mixed my water last Thursday added a heater but didn't get to do the water change over the weekend. Nitrates were only at 10 so I didn't feel too rushed. Wondering if I can still use the water?

Ha! I could say the same for you, Sniper! This the only time of day I get to catch up on the things I enjoy. The rest of the day is work and kids.

Thanks for the reply though. I won't worry about this batch of water. :)

Ok let me put this another way: the semi-LFS recommended a reef octopus 110, which they conveniently sell. I looked online at BRS and there are so many I can't decide! I thought I read somewhere that you should buy a skimmer rated for a larger tank than you have. Am I making that up?

I just got back from vacation and this is how's sand looks! My mom came by and fed 1x day. Is this diatoms on top? And what causes the bubbles and brownish red along the glass? What is the remedy?

Back
Top Bottom