Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My RODI unit had a dual inline TDS meter attached. If I am using it correctly the water going "in" would be the tap water and it reads 7. The water going "out" would be the RODI and it reads 0. I think that alleviates my water as the source of the problem. I'm leaning toward the brute as the source. Do y'all think it will eventually stop leaching silicates or do you recommend a different container for mixing water?

I've been using brutes for my water and have never had any issues.
Not sure that is your problem.

Need equipment help this weekend! I started a thread over in the equipment section but haven't really arrived at an answer.

During my last water change I took some length off my return tubing...maybe 6-8 inches. Now I think water is returning quicker than it is draining from the DT. The water level is higher. It splashes over the top now and I have to put water in the sump more frequently. The same day my skimmer went nuts and started dumping out water. I had the collection cup set up to drain into a 1 gallon bucket and it filled up/ overflowed in about an hour. I really don't know much about my skimmer and I suspect it has a missing part but I can't help but think all of this is related to the shorter return tube. Do I need to install a ball valve on the return? Is there a way to adjust the overflow in the DT so water drains faster? Is it time for a new skimmer? Now would be the time to do the work. Planning a water change this weekend.

This is the reason I add a ball valve to all my return pumps, just in case.
As far as the skimmer, what kind is it? Maybe you just need to adjust it, if you have more water in your tank it stands to reason you have less in the sump which may cause the skimmer to go a bit crazy

I'm pretty sure the skimmer needs repair or replacing. I think it is a Venturi style skimmer. From pro clear aquatics. Best I can tell the valve is missing that is supposed to adjust the amount of air that goes in so in this setup it would be same as fully open.

Can you show me a pic of where ball valve goes? I took a look at them at hardware store and not sure what to get. PVC I am assuming?

This is how I have my 90g set up. Disregard the ball valave on the left, thats the incoming water and shouldnt have one. lol

Thanks for the pic...that is not at all what I had in mind! I thought the ball valve would connect directly to the pump somehow.

While I have you: is pvc a better option for the return tubing? I use the clear flexible stuff. Could that be my silicate source?

I have my ball valve directly on my pump and causes no problems

What types of food do y'all like to feed? I see people refer to "good" food to help keep immune system strong, but what exactly constitutes good food? Should I be feeding a variety or is it ok to stick with one thing? I've been feeding super color flakes exclusively. Every other day or so I'll put a piece of an algae sheet in too. Everyone is happy and eating well. Do I need to do anything else like frozen food or different brands?

I feed my tanks the following: carnivore pellets, herbivore pellets, occassional flake, NLS pellets, frozen brine, frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp. I just picked up a 2.5 lb pack of pemysis which is one of the best frozen foods you can get. :) Rods food is also quite good. A good variety will keep your fish happy and healthy.

I feed my tanks the following: carnivore pellets, herbivore pellets, occassional flake, NLS pellets, frozen brine, frozen bloodworms and mysis shrimp. I just picked up a 2.5 lb pack of pemysis which is one of the best frozen foods you can get. :) Rods food is also quite good. A good variety will keep your fish happy and healthy.

+1 you'd get tired of steak if you had to eat it every day

Mr x had a thread about making your own food. Its "marine fish food thread" really clever and will save you a ton

Back
Top Bottom