Need Advice choosing Light Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am looking to buy a used lighting system hopefully on craigslist for my 40 gallon tank. I would like to be able to house any type of coral just such as soft/sps/lps.

Can somebody recommend what kind of lights would be good for me? I am looking to spend hopefully no more than $150
And what kind of watts/# of bulbs should I be looking for? Thanks

"no more than 150 bucks" and "any type of coral" usually don't go hand in hand.
what are the exact dimensions of your tank? do you have a canopy? a center brace?

haha I guess that is true. My tank is 28-29 inch long , 16 inches deep and 15 inches wide. It had a hood filter that takes about half of the top space and the other half is my hob skimmer and current lights.

Since our last conversation I was deciding between Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
and
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Would the difference in wattage make a significant difference in the type of coral I can keep? I do not mind having 3 inches hanging over on each side (unless the light lost for going over is a big deal)
please advise thank you!

yes the wattage does make a differnce and so does having individual lamp reflectors. but yeah for $150 is not goign to get you much.. you can get a fixture for cheap but you'll need the lamps which will cost you anywhere from $20-30 each lamp for T5s.

halides will run you soem big time bucks same with LEDs

If your feeling adventurous you could get the fixture for cheap with less than desirable bulbs save up for individual reflectors to add in yourself, then when the time comes to switch out bulbs buy some high quality ones. Then in the beginning you can get your low/med light corals and after you know what youre doing step up to sps and clam

Do you know if the ones I linked have individual reflectors?

I wanted to avoid metal halide cause they were too hot and leds too expensive. I am pretty much going to get the 36" one listed and put the good bulbs in unless someone tells me something terribly wrong with them.

Also, I was looking at the lights my LFS uses called quantum badboy lighting. They seem to be about the same price but I am skeptical since all the reviews I see online for them are for hydroponics. Thanks!

Thanks Kurty that sounds good since I was already okay with getting the better bulbs. What are these individual reflectors though? Can you explain a bit further on them?

cheapo = avoid them? :T , the few reviews say they were okay but yeah I understand they are cheap.

Good lightbulbs + individual reflectors = possibility? I can possibly spend more but I really can't look at spending a couple hundred. Should I just buy used on craigslist

Unfortunately you're gonna have to either spend a few hundred on a decent, brand new fixture, or search craigslist... Don't be discouraged by cl though, you can find some amazing deals if you're patient and know what to look for. I'd recommend buying a decent fixture from cl then upgrading it with individual reflectors and higher-end bulbs

in MOST cases, you can't add individual reflectors to a fixture that has a single reflector to start with. i would not bother trying to do that.
just buy the right fixture and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom