need advice for 125 equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Master2270

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting my first SW tank, and I've been reading the articles and forums and have no clue as to what direction to go with filtration. There seem to be several ways to go about filtration, and thats what's frustrating me.

Powerheads,sump systems and skimmers...oh my!!! LOL....I feel like I'm in some aquatic Wizard of Oz episode. My tank is not drilled(not brave enough) so what are the solutions to my confusion? I was going to build a stand,but found one someone wasn't using. I'll be picking it up Sat,so i have no idea on storage height. I do know that it it 24" wide and my tank is 18"..so if i need a HOB overflow there is some room.

I want to set up the tank for corals(not attempting until comfortable)so I don't run into additional costs in the future.

If anyone can simplify this for me(diagrams, products...ect) it would be a great help, and speed up my progress a bit. Thank You.

Welcome to AA!

The best filtration is live rock. Use anywhere (depending on the rock density) from 1-2 lbs/gal...so you want anywhere from 125-250 lbs of rock. A sump is a great place to put your skimmer and your heaters plus it adds more water volume to the system which is always a good thing.

You can check my build thread (link is in my signature) for some ideas.

i agree that you will need at least 125 pounds of live rock. you can also use this to cycle the tank.
having the tank drilled would be the best way to do this. if you don't want to have it drilled, use a HOB overlow as you mentioned. a protein skimmer is an excellent investment. i would suggest purchasing a quality protein skimmer like a reef octopus, and choosing one rated for 2 x your tank volume (all skimmer companies exaggerate a bit).
a skimmer and a lot of live rock is all you need for filtration.

If I read that right, your tank is 6" narrower than the stand? I hope you plan on bracing it under the frame of the tank or you will be asking for it to crack. Not sure if you thought about that or not.

If the stand need additional bracing, thats not a problem. When i pick it up this Saturday I'll have a better idea about that. stand is rated for 125-150 gal. Was purchased at a store, the person who bought it,brought it home ...then decided to build his own. He said he never even used it If all goes well, he said he has lighting setups for reef tanks as well ,and was quoting me prices of $250 w/new bulbs. Also, he is only charging me $50 for the stand.

Mr X, do you have a idea of what size HOB overflow i would need? I have been surfing craigslist trying to minimize cost(disability and workers comp do not make a millionaire...lol)what are some thing to keep an eye out for?

Back
Top Bottom