Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need advice on a new tank.

Hello everybody.. brand new to this scary salt water part of the hobby.. lol

I'm currently still in freshwater taking care of Cichlids. They are getting way too big in my 46G tank so I've decided to get rid of them, get some community fish and move the tank out of my room and into the living room.

I have a small 12G tank doing nothing so I want to try myself at this saltwater. My guess is that since it's such a small tank I wont be able to put a lot of fish so I need to know what you recommend I put in it...

also, since I need to buy a new filtration system, air pump, lighting and so on, is it so much different than freshwater? Also everybody tells me saltwater tanks are very picky and require very precise water chemicals. What would they be?

I'm really lost so any help would be of big help.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!! And the saltie side.

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

In SW, bigger is better. The bigger tank the more room for error. With that being said, it is not impossible to keep nano tanks, you just have to be more diligent in maint.
Here are some Articles to get you started.
Here is a great article on Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank .
Here is a great site for info on Nano Fish .

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks a lot... There seems to be a LOT of information that i need to learn before I take up this idea... like you said, the bigger the better, but in my situation, I dont have the resources to setup my big tank as saltwater.

The articles were great... gave me a lot of insight as well as the nano fish list... looks like I can put a clown or 2 and a goby..that's about it
Old 04-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

That clown might get too big and not be happy in a 12G. I like the firefish. You could go with a pistol shrimp and goby combo. Certain gobys will live symbiotically with pistol shrimp. The pistol being nearly blind, the goby will bring him some food back and the shrimp will protect the goby. It's really neat. If you get a pistol, make sure your rock is against the bottom of the glass and very stable. There is not a piece/pile of my rock that hasn't been tunneled under.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

heh, yeah that does sound like a neat combo...

I have Cichlids so I know what you mean, they dig up all kinds of stuff and move things around alllll the time

anyway, what if I want to put find sand on the bottom and not rocks?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Fine sand is good, just not super fine, meaning if it is too fine the water moving equipment will constantly stir it up. I have a combo of aragonite sand and rock. You really will want the rock. It will host the beneficial bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. It also serves as hiding places and extra food sources for your critters.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com