Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
need advice on buying live rock with green hair algea

found a classified for quote "approx. 90 pounds of live rock that has been living in a rubbermaid tub It's fully cured and covered with coralline algae, and there are lots of little critters (pods, worms, snails, crabs) in the mix as well - and about 2 quarts macro algae (wire) too. There is also quite a bit of sand as well - about two 5-gallon pails worth I think. It's getting some green hair..."

is the green hair algea easy to remove before i place in my tank? im sure this a good deal for $140

Old 09-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't put anything with hair algae into my tank. If the price is right though, I would take the rock and further cure it on my own keeping up excellent water quality until the hair algae went away...then I would add it to my tank.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For what it's worth, I got some LR from the LFS and had some hair algae on it. At first it spread rather quickly. After getting a good amount of Turbo Snails and kept up with RO/DI water changes and keeping Phosphates in check- my hair algae was gone within 1-2 months.

HTH...
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks this helps alot. i have sent a couple of emails to the seller out the live rocks but havent got a reply. i hope this deal is still available. for the amount of rock and extra stuff even if it has hair algea, it a great price at less that 2 dollars a pound. shipping will be free since its only about 45 minute drive.

if i do get the rock, do i just a power head to circulate the water and do water changes until the hair algea clears up?

i have started adding water from my ro/di unit. its slow but getting there. 75 gal plus a sump below will take all day. then goes the salt. how long till i add the rock after the hair algea is gone?

one more question, i believe this has been answered already from a previous post long ago. the tank i have came with some sand, its almost a 5 gallon amount of sand. i remove the same and clean out the tank when i brought it home. its been a few weeks that the sand has been sitting in the 5 gal bucket. i went to look at it and saw it was moist. the top half was a little dry and felt like good beach sand. the bottom hald was moist and smell really bad and rotten like sewage or bad eggs. i probably should not use it but if possible, can i spread out the sand on a large table i have outside and dry it out. is it still usable, i can really use it for my sump.

thanks for all the help. its has been a long start but i prefer better later than sorry now.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, I just do changes on my LR buckets (actually change all rock to a new bucket of fresh aged/aerated sw....shaking the rock in the bucket to remove debris/dead matter). I actually keep a bucket of rock going at all times in my shed and every few months swap out some pieces from my display...it really seems to keep the diversity up in the tank (tons of pods, etc.).

I would not use the sand, but I imagine you could spread it out in the sun and/or rinsing it very well.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i got some pics of the rock im picking up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_179.jpg (218.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2_195.jpg (248.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 1_165.jpg (229.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

one more pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4_214.jpg (229.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Heck, forget just the liverock....take the whole system there home and ye got yerself a ghetto tank!

I see some corallines through the water, I would take it and get it all cleaned up.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

yep, i saw the nice color there too. going to pick it up on sunday morning.

i saw a tank set up like this but at a LFS. in fact its huge, about 30 foot long about 5 t0 10 feet wide. looks like a pool with live rock all over and fish swimming in it. its about 4 feet from the floor so you see straight down into it. no cover and you practically put your hand into it, but signs posted no touching. fish will bite

Tags
algea, hair, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com