Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need advice on cycling new tank.

I have recently filled my new 70 gallon tank with saltwater and crushed coral.
I am wondering what the best method is to start cycling the tank. I bought a product called "CYCLE" which is supposed to seed bacteria and speed up the cycling. I have not put this stuff in yet because I am unsure if this is a safe method. I was not planning on adding live rock but it seems like the best way according to the posts in this forum.
Also, I have ordered a protein skimmer and should have it next week, is it a good advice to start the cycling without this. My filter is a FLuval 404.
Any advice would be appreciated

Old 01-28-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check out this link for the raw shrimp method. I hope this helps.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I bought a product called "CYCLE" which is supposed to seed bacteria and speed up the cycling
Sorry to say, it doesn't work. I tried it on a small qt tank with 0 success.
Check out the link that RMPD109 gave you. its a good method.
However, if you are getting LR, thats the best way to go.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The raw shrimp method seems like a good idea. I would still like to know if adding live rock is necessary. Also should I start this without a skimmer.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
I would still like to know if adding live rock is necessary.
LR is the best natural filtration you can get today. I would call it necessary for an optimal system.
Quote:
Also should I start this without a skimmer.
You could start without, but I see one in your future. A big part of a successful system IMO
BTW, welcome to AA!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

The LR is the best method of cycling your tank without fish.

Cycle doesn't work, and turbo start doesn't work either. I tried turbo start when i set mine up, and it did nothing.

Good Luck!

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These products can not work by themselves..they are intended to spur the cycle by providing a population of bacteria to process ammonia immediately. You still need an ammonia source. (The dead shrimp in my sump is a mere three feet away as I type this and perfuming the air nicely!)

I'm not suggesting that they ABSOLUTELY DO work...just that, assuming the culture is alive when you add it, it is likely to speed up the cycle a bit. Of course, who knows how the product was handled in the store, and what its shelf life is.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com