need advice on new tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long time no see my friends!! I am back and
planning to upgrade from a 46bow front to a 106gal custom tank.
the tank will be 48"x30"18"
need some advice on glass or acrylic tank.
and here is a list of equipment that I am planning to buy
-CPR overflow (1200gph) need to buy
-48" nova extreme pro (6x 54w) need to buy
-Vtech MP40W wave maker, need to buy

I got a quote today on my custom acrylic tank, and its about OMG $750
want to know ppl that using acrylic, what do you think about it.

I will also use the recent equipments that I am using in the 46gal right now
such as the protein skimmer, the overflow and some powerhead.

the 46gal will probably turn into my refugium XD

I really want to hear what you guys think about the upgrade.

Thanks guys

Acrylic scratches easily, so you need to be careful when aquascaping, or when moving things around in the tank. You also need to watch out for those mag floats or algae scrapers, since sand and rocks can get between the mag float and scratch the acrylic, so try and keep the mag float away from the sandbed. Same goes for any other tank cleaner.

Also, about the MP40.. just get an MP10. The MP10 is rated for tanks up to 500G i think and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the MP40.

I think the upgrade sounds awesome. I like that footprint too. Nice and wide, and not too deep. I also think the NEP will be a great fixture over that tank.

thanks zero!!
but really MP 10 is good for 500gal!!??
isn't that mp40?? someone on cragslist selling a mp40 gen2 for 300, I was about to reply yes to him LOL

maybe I should get two MP10?? haha
someone suggested me to get 2 MP40 OoO

Meh.. nevermind. Looking at the VorTech now.. it says the MP10 is only good up to 50G and the MP20 up to 70G.. so maybe you should get the MP40 lol. Thank thing still is a buttload of money. Could accomplish the same thing with 4 PH's for a lot less $$.. but still.. if i had the money for it i would buy the VorTech pump :D

haha I am trying to put less powerhead on the main tank but still able to create a great amount of flow and I think Vtech's pump is pretty good.
I will need to save money for all the new stuff, they are all expenseive haha

oh question again~
I have a pistol shrimp........hmm maybe 2.....
should I still get acrylic since its scratches easily.....><

Pretty sure pistol shrimp can't scratch acrylic, and i've seen people on nano-reef.com that have pistol shrimp in acrylic aquariums, so i wouldn't think it's a problem. But if your really worried, try asking around on different sites and get more than one testimonial. That should put your mind at ease.

Match, I have an mp-10 on my 65g w/20 sump and the pump is way to much for the 4' tank. Since your tank is wide, but still only 4', the new mp-2 is programable to run 2 mp10's the same as a mp-40 does.

With that much water I would get two mp-10's because one controller can run the two and you can really get some wavemotion that way. I think they run $195.00 with the new controller so look online or ask them how much for the one mp-10 w/controller and the extra mp-10.

and any of you know a good company that have good deals on acrylic tank?

also, should I just ask the company to make a build in overflow for me??
so I don't have to spend another $120 on overflow?

Try glasscages.com. Their prices are pretty good actually. But they really only have standard sized tanks. However, they say they will customize tank dimensions at their own discretion, so you can email them and ask. When i went to get a quote on my rimless cube they were going to make me a tank with all new dimensions. I'm poor though.. so i couldn't afford what they were offering even though it was a great deal.

Try glasscages.com. Their prices are pretty good actually. But they really only have standard sized tanks. However, they say they will customize tank dimensions at their own discretion, so you can email them and ask. When i went to get a quote on my rimless cube they were going to make me a tank with all new dimensions. I'm poor though.. so i couldn't afford what they were offering even though it was a great deal.

woo they have some good rimless tank that I actually like OoO
like the 48"x48"x8"
althought H8" its a little too shallow LOL

Back
Top Bottom