need advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgr7781

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking at possibly starting a 10g Salt water tank. i need Advise! i know less room for errors but i love the fishies!!! ideas and tips are Welcomed!!!

Most people don't feel comfortable even putting fish into a 10 gallon. So if you love the fish you should probably go bigger do you can have wider variety to pick from

Agreed, you may be disappointed with the fish selection for a 10g - some small gobies and cardinal fish might work. Check out the nano section of liveaquaria.com and select 10g to see the options. You could only have maybe 2 of those. Go bigger if you can!!!

it's true that fish selection is limited but you still have lots of options! and the fish that you can have are super cool. I am partial to the royal gramma. and clowns are a good standby. tailspot blenny, gobies, all really cool. lots of cool crustaceans you can do too. porcelain crabs tock, as do shrimp. and you can do a nice mini coral reef as well if you want! just pick hardier corals, like mushrooms or zoanthids!

I have a ten gallon, and knock on wood it's gone perfectly so far. so rewarding and maintenance is so easy. I do a one gallon water change once a week. I picked a ten gallon because it needs to live in my dorm, but I am very happy with it!

what all do i need for a 10g salt? also about how much money would a 10g salt run me

The royal and clowns should probably be in something more like a 20-25. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, just saying what is recommended.

But honestly, you bring up a good point. You will find out real quick that coral is where it's at. I would take coral over fish any day. And coral can be housed in any size tank as long as you keep the water consistent.

You should google ricordea mushrooms, different types of zoas, and LPS in general. That might influence how you want to set up your tank.

well, how much would a 20g salt run me in total before fish

For my 20 gallon tank that I am setting up this is what it has costed so far.... Powerhead $22. Live sand $25. Marine salt 2 boxes at 8.99 each. 20 gallon aquarium kit I think was around $75ish. Heater $19.99. Extra box of filter cartridges $15. Fish net $2. And that is all I have bought so far!

Your rock will be the most costly, unless you going reef then your lights will be! And test kits, refractometer, ro-di unit? The list goes on ;)

For my 20 gallon tank that I am setting up this is what it has costed so far.... Powerhead $22. Live sand $25. Marine salt 2 boxes at 8.99 each. 20 gallon aquarium kit I think was around $75ish. Heater $19.99. Extra box of filter cartridges $15. Fish net $2. And that is all I have bought so far!

Spend $20 on made up saltwater at the local petstore. Otherwise your gonna have to spend $100-$200 on an roDi filter. DO NOT start you tank with tap water. Its asking for trouble. I don't care how good u think ur water is. Spend the money and get rodi and or saltwater from ur lfs. Also don't forget to buy a test kit and a refractometer. You need to follow you cycle to find out when its over.

Back
Top Bottom