Need an analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i was originally thinking of a nano but decided against it and also decided to go with a fair sized reef tank.

So the tank is proposed to be anywhere from 30-60 gallons ... a sump will be 15 - 30 gallons (used and/or homemade). I am thinking of a buying a used ER skimmer, a coralife aqualight pro, a submersible titanium heater, a shallow LS sand bed, a goodly amount of LR (60 - 120 lbs), a UV sterilizer and then going from there.

I don't really want to have a sump (due to space restrictions) and was originally thinking of a remora pro skimmer in conjunction with a power filter stuffed with carbon.

any comments on this? Thanks

cool. I have read so many conflicting arguments about how a marine setup should be etc that i figured that i would give the 2 ideas i was thinking.

A sump will add more water volume and give you more time to react if anything was to go wrong (ammonia spike etc etc etc). A skimmer is a must though as that combined with LR provide the majority if not all of the filtration.

Aim for 1.5x LR to total aquarium size in gallons.

I would run filterless with the exception of a good HOB skimmer. Coral life super skimmer 65 is what I recently got for my 37 gal and I am impressed to say the least. Titanium heaters are great, good choice, you may look into one with an external heat adjustment.

I do not run a sump and have done perfectly fine with the exception of some nitrate problems I have been having that are resolved finally.

With that said, I would opt for a sump if you can afford it. The benefits of a fuge/sump are worth the extra money IMO. I definatly have a sump/fuge setup on my xmas list.

Back
Top Bottom