Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Oh yeah. DIY for the win! Sumps are pretty easy to make as well. All you need is a good sized rubbermaid bucket depending on the size of your main tank, and then a couple of plexiglass or acrylic baffles. And you've got yourself a DIY sump! Actually, i would say that DIY sumps are the easiest DIY's out there for SW. Anyone agree?
I second that motion! XD

I picked up a 20G long for 20 bucks, it makes a great sump.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

Yep. And in the words of thominil, "whatever the biggest size tank can fit under your main tank as a sump, buy it!" lol! So true.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
LOL I can see someone saying "I have a 100G sump for my 100G reef. Look! They stack on top of each other quite well!"

Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetshannon
Quote:
Originally Posted by linksyz View Post
Oh yeah. DIY for the win! Sumps are pretty easy to make as well. All you need is a good sized rubbermaid bucket depending on the size of your main tank, and then a couple of plexiglass or acrylic baffles. And you've got yourself a DIY sump! Actually, i would say that DIY sumps are the easiest DIY's out there for SW. Anyone agree?
I am the furthest thing from a DIY girl you will ever find. Even the most simple instructions are greek to me..... My little mind doesn't work that way. I would much rather pay, or pay someone build one and get it running. Anyone?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

Hey thats ok, im not a very handy kid either. The farthest i've gone was reinforcing a stand lol. But hey, whatever you think you can do, i would go for it. But if you cant, then buying pre-made sumps is always an option. Places like premiumaquatics.com and aquacave.com have prebuilt sumps for pretty good prices. If you aren't very handy or you dont feel like building one yourself, you will find your answers on one of those sites that sell premade sumps. Good luck on your search!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetshannon View Post
I am the furthest thing from a DIY girl you will ever find. Even the most simple instructions are greek to me..... My little mind doesn't work that way. I would much rather pay, or pay someone build one and get it running. Anyone?
LOL pick me!

But in all reality, the best way to learn is to do. If you make it yourself then you learn in the process and that's a good thing. Why pay for an empty plastic box when you can just pick one up at walmart for like 5 bucks or make one out of something you already have?

As for me, if its DIY-able, I'm in!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to sweetshannon
thanks for all your help! I am just afraid of any leaks, etc. if I screw it up. Maybe I will look into the premade ones....and see what I think I can do.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck!

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com